Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: it's an age thing  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
it's an age thing
« on: June 30, 2007, 06:47:35 pm »
Thought this was funny, was able to relate to most of them lol

Do you remember when you were a kid?

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint, which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets, and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and
fluorescent 'spokey dokeys' or baseball/playing cards on our wheels.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts, or airbags - riding in the passenger seat, or laying in the back window.

We drank water from the garden hose, not from a bottle, and it still tasted good.

We ate chips, bread and butter, pudding, and drank fizzy pop with sugar
in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can, and no
one actually died.

We would spend hours building go-karts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into something a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, and no Internet chat rooms. We had friends, we actually went OUTSIDE and found them.

We played kickball and dodgeball, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no lawsuits.

We had full on fistfights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played knock-and-run and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friend's homes.

We also, believe it or not, walked to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats tied around our waist, or by only the hood sometimes.

The idea of a parent buying us a car, or bailing us out of jail if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the all time greatest risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors the world has ever known. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas!

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about us.

This my friends, is surprisingly frightening ...and it might put a smile on your face:

The majority of students in universities today were born in 1983. They are called youth.

They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel.

They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena, or Belinda Carlisle.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.

AIDS has existed since they were born.

CD's have existed since they were born.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

To them John Travolta has always been round in shape, and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.

They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from the last  few years.

They can never imagine life before computers.

They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, Night Rider, or the Famous Five.

They can't believe a black and white television ever existed, much less know how to switch on a TV without a remote control.

And they will never be able to understand how we could have ever left the house without a mobile phone.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: it's an age thing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »
although an 88' i can proudly say i pretty much had the UPPER childhood, hura!

august was my favourite month. we would go around the village or even meaner (muahahahaha) to another village and steal fruits, from trees of course. now...the best fruit you can steal are strawberrys. coz...anything you pick tastes like strawberrys, even though you grabbed nothing but a handful of dirt, it darn sure tasted like strawberrys :-D

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 03:25:07 am »
I here so many keids today say--"There's nothing to do!" 

I tell them, "use your imaginations."

"What's that?"  they ask.

"All those cartoons you spend all day watching on
TV came from somebodies imagination. Make up your
own, don't Let somebody else decide your entertainment,
That's imagination."

As A teenager I mowed lawns, delivered papers, worked on farms during the summer, and also did the occasional babysitting job.  I was never without money and never lacked for something to do.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 12:33:06 pm »
Riding in the back of a pickup truck was fun wasn't it?

Just remember..... our generation is responsible for bringing into the world the things our kids do today.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything