Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top blew off in storm  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
Top blew off in storm
« on: July 10, 2007, 03:04:16 am »
One of my new hives has one of those styofoam top covers on. I had a rock on top of it but while on vacation, the top blew off during a storm. A friend of mine who was checking in on them put it back on the next day but I'm not sure what level of damage to the hive the night in the rain did.

I did an inspection this weekend and found the queen but only 3 frames are covered in bees (and we're in July). There's a good brood pattern but a lot of bees died (based on the pile in front of the hive).

My question is, will this hive recover in time for the Winter? What can I do to help the girls make up for lost time?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Top blew off in storm
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 09:12:48 am »
Remove and freeze any frames of comb and boxes that they aren't using.  That way they won't have to fight off moths or SHB.

Feed feed feed until they are back to 2 deep brood boxes or so.

Keep a small mountain on top that cover so it doesn't happen again  :roll:

-Rick
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 09:56:08 am »
Like Rick said feed them & feed them, keep them strong. You could feed them pollen patties and you may try honey bee healthy as well. As long as you have the queen, they are organized. It sounds like a young hive to me, cause I have some of these stryofoam hives and mine propolize the top cover down pretty good. You usually need a crow bar to remove the top cover. Was the hive very strong the last time you checked it before the storm? Feed them sugar water with hbh and give pollen patties and I think you'll be ok. Let us in on the progress, & good luck.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 12:37:33 pm »
You need a bigger rock  :-D

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:04:02 pm »
If you have another strong hive, take one frame of mostly capped brood, shake off all the bees and give it to them. A good boost.
doak

Offline Holycow

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 09:59:20 pm »
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. The hive seemed ok but I think on day 3 afterward, the colony left while I was at work one afternoon.
Those are the breaks. Hope yours does better.
--Jeff

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:27:35 pm »
Anyone use any sort of latch for this kind of issue?   I don't see why it would not work that same as a rock and provide a little more protection.

I have a bit of an issue with racoons and I know they are smart enough to open the top if they want to even with a rock on top. 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 09:16:34 pm »
Take it from someone who's had a pet raccoon, they can get the top off even with a latch.  Try a hasp and padlock.  I've yet to see a coon get past a padlock without a key.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything