Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just found this interesting  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
Just found this interesting
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:19:59 am »
Found this while cleaning out a barn.  The beekeeper had passed away 20 years ago and his wife, now down sizing, was emptying the barn.  Not sure if he made it or it was something that he acquired along the way.  My best guess is that it was a queen bank??  Each section has one corked hole, no other way in or out. 

Any other ideas??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
Re: Just found this interesting
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:27:44 am »
Probably.  Really smart person to use practically nothing to keep his queens.  Them older people are so smart with common sense stuff, wish I had grandparents to talk to.  Thanks for sharing pic! :)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:20:05 am »
Once he got the queens in there how do you reckon he got them out? Pull the plug then whistle?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »
Now that thing has some possibilities as a virgin banking cage. Place cell protectors/cells in the cork holes and let them emerge into the cages. Then just pull the cork you want released and drop the frame in a nuc. The bees will feed the other virgins as well. Uh oh, the wheels are starting to grind!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:36:44 pm »
I guess to get a queen or 2 out, maybe you shake it up and down until one comes out?   Neat idea though.   You could make one with several compartments and a flip bottom to get the queen out. 

Was there any propolis  on the screen or around the corks to show if it was ever used?

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:49:14 pm »

I was also wondering how you would get them out!  Those ladies are always sooooo cooperative :roll:.  There was just a little propolis on the ends of the top bar, but did not look like it was used very much.

I do like the idea of keeping virgin queens and releasing one at a time, sort of a rotating system.  10 seems like a few too many though.  With the expanded living space they may do better than in the hairrollers or three hole queen cages.  The wheels are turning.....I see some shop time coming this winter.  Have to make something that my grandchildren, someday, will look at and say, "what the heck was grampa thinking"....Oh, wait, they say that now :-D!!

The wife told us he was producing queens and had learned, and was selling, artificially inseminated queens.
Jim

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:45 pm »
There's something about the ray pattern that keeps bothering me. I havent tried any queen breeding, but it just doesnt look efficient - you could give them each equal area for less effort to just install vertical dividers. - I guess what I'm saying is - no, really, what is it?
be happy and make others happy.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:22:44 pm »
        PATEN PENDING  ;)  RDY-B

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:26:15 pm »
 :lau:

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 01:05:15 pm »
There's something about the ray pattern that keeps bothering me. I havent tried any queen breeding, but it just doesnt look efficient - you could give them each equal area for less effort to just install vertical dividers. - I guess what I'm saying is - no, really, what is it?

In a discussion last night at our meeting someone suggested the ray pattern would give each section access to the middle of the hive, where if you did straight sections the queens on the outside sections could be ignored. 
Jim

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 06:07:38 pm »
That explains the extra effort & materials.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:30:59 pm »
That was what I was thinking.   I am glad someone else was thinking that.

anything