Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found the queen  (Read 1715 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Found the queen
« on: May 08, 2009, 07:15:49 pm »
So, I opened up the hive today about five days after the queen was freed....uhhh, ok so Shaux and I opened up the hive...alright what really happened was that Shaux opened up the hive while I was taking pictures.  We were please to see that the queen was doing her thing laying eggs, one whole side of one of the frames was full of newly laid eggs.  Shaux picked up the next frame and there she was.  You can clearly see her in the picture I'm trying to post along with this note, center frame and if you're able to zoom into the exposed cell above her, you can actually see an egg in the cell.  Pretty cool for a newbee like me.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:39:01 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Found the queen
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 08:44:19 pm »
you don't have enough posts to post pics yet.  you'll get there soon  :-).  hang on to those pictures.

sounds like you are off to a great start!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »
Those are some great pics, thanks for sharing. It has been raining here for the last week so getting into my hives has been out of the question.

Look your pic over real good, I found three eggs pretty quick. Can you find more?

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:59:08 am »
Very cool pic!  I found 3 eggs, also !

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:51:46 am »
The bottom picture was fairly interesting in that the bee seems to be covered in pollen, I hadn't noticed that so far.  Well it's now raining and 38 degrees outside...happy for the rain, sad due to the temperature.

Offline shaux

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 04:15:13 am »
I can count five....I think.  I know there are more under all those bees. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:54:50 am »
very nice!  the black makes it easy to see, doesn't it?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline shaux

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 01:15:08 pm »
Yes. When we opened it up I looked for the eggs first knowing how hard it is to find the queen.  Pulled out the next frame and there she was.  That bright dot helped a lot.  One of the queens I had was marked with a kelly green and I could never find her because I'm colorblind and she blended right in with the rest.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 01:30:26 pm »
That is a fine photo of the queen laying and the egg in the cell.  I love seeing the other bees just hanging around her and watching her do her thing.  They almost seem to be saying (over here, to the left a little)

anything