Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: foundations w/hardware cloth?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline toolmaster

• New Bee
foundations w/hardware cloth?
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:44:59 pm »
Hello,
     I have been reading the posts about foundationless frames. Could you just use 1/8" or 1/4" hardware cloth glued or tacked in to frames?  What other suggestions or modifications would you make?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: foundations w/hardware cloth?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »
Hello,
     I have been reading the posts about foundationless frames. Could you just use 1/8" or 1/4" hardware cloth glued or tacked in to frames?  What other suggestions or modifications would you make?

Jim from Albany and I were just talking about your idea in ventrillo voice chat. I guess it could work, may not, it could be an aceptance issue. It might be worth it to you at least for curiousity sake to experiment with it. Jim said that yrs ago, the available foundation at the time was aluminum, that would fit in between frames just as diff types of foundation do now. That boggles my mind, but he said he's used it and it worked.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: foundations w/hardware cloth?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:15:46 am »
>   I have been reading the posts about foundationless frames. Could you just use 1/8" or 1/4" hardware cloth glued or tacked in to frames?  What other suggestions or modifications would you make?

I don't think it will work at all.  It will discourage them from building comb there as there is wire in their way. They don't care for one wire in the middle that much but they will put up with it.  I don't think they will tolerate a wire every 1/8".  The modification I'd make is to use NO wire at all. That's what I always do.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything