Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Summer Harvest  (Read 5244 times)

Offline knightfamily

• New Bee
Summer Harvest
« on: July 10, 2004, 06:15:53 pm »
Out of 11 hives this is what we pulled

1 deep super
3 and 1/2 med supers
13 gallons and almost 2 gallon jars of wax

After straining and filling jars this is what we have

36 quarts
15 pints
18 8oz jars
and 2 sm cool whip bowls of wax

Yea :D

Should've been more but there was alot of swarming that could've been prevented-which will not happen next year.

WOW!! And I am figuring we should get some more later this summer at least I am hoping. There are some huge soybean fields up the road and then the goldenrod will be out later.

I think that's pretty good for a first harvest.

Shelly

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Summer Harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 08:47:08 pm »
Shelly and Family:

Forgive me for NOT officially welcoming you and MANY of our more resent members to the forum - I have been dealing with family health issues and other responcibilities which have kept me from the forum - but you are VERY WELCOMED HERE and thank you for the fine posts you have already made and please keep as involved with the forum - the membership surely has grown and the content is wonderful.

I did some hive inspection today myself and although I'm no where near harvesting (probably won't this first season) all three hives (2 from packaged bees and one from a swarm that moved into an old hive body I had stored in a shed) are all doing great and I think they will be fine this year into next.

Great to see you took JUST ENOUGH to feel fair with the bees, giving them plenty to work with - some folks do a great injustice and over-harvest thinking that the bees can MAKE DO when the Winter comes with minimally suggested stores, meanwhile a massive cold front or prolonged season can easily use up what few stores they would have left during an "Average" Winter - if indeed there is such a thing.

So welcome aboard Shelly and Family - I sure hope you find the forum a fun, entertaining and educational place to visit. At the bottom of this post I have sever other of my pages listed that may interest you - I'm trying to find time to write the Lancaster, PA RV Trip to add to my www.beemaster.com/bus.html page - but time is surely been a tough thing around here laterly to find.

Best wishes and I'm very glad you joined our forums :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
Summer Harvest
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 12:56:43 am »
Good to here you're alive and well, Beemaster! I was wondering what had happened to you.
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Summer Harvest
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 01:01:03 am »
Quote from: buzz
Good to here you're alive and well, Beemaster! I was wondering what had happened to you.

So was I. You've been scarce around here, and we missed you. :) I hope all is well with you and your family.
Lesli