Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cold spring hurt hone productinn  (Read 1605 times)

Offline beefun

• New Bee
cold spring hurt hone productinn
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:44:14 am »
how many are not getting much honey due to our cool spring? :'(
wishing all of you  better tomorrows and better bee keeping

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: cold spring hurt hone productinn
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:27 am »
Same here for me  :'(
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: cold spring hurt hone product inn
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:54:28 am »
i honestly thought this would be a bumper crop year, but it's not looking like it.  i have no explanation except that spring was really cool, and then everything bloomed at once instead of spaced out over spring and summer.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:33:21 am »
Glad to hear another SE Wisconsin beek concerned about slow production.  I did just hear at the Watertown Dadant that Madison and a bit north are having a great flow right now.  I don't seem to be a bit further south (he did mention that southwest WI was not doing well with spring either - although it is all very anecdotal).

Hoping our rain today and the few nice days to follow will bring something blooming :)

I am kind of assuming August will be a bust due to dryer conditions, so thinking that the rest of July is all we have for chances for a flow - hope I am wrong.  I just have a number of partially filled supers - and worried that they may not get enough to finish them off . . . . or if cup is half full maybe we will see a decent flow and they will finish existing supers off.

I am about to finish up making more supers and will probably put one more on most hives if they have made any reasonable progress by Sunday.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:22:19 pm »
 Our trouble was rain, rain, and more rain.  Most right in the first bloom. The bees are working clover now but things are slowing down. Production is down by half at least.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.