Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: color of plastic foundation  (Read 2521 times)

Offline jaime

• New Bee
color of plastic foundation
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:12:27 am »
What about color of the plastic foundation?  Some is black, some is white.  Is one for brood and other for honey?  Or is it just a decorator's preference?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:31:32 am »
The claim is that black works better in the brood box.  
I can't attest for the claims as I detest plastic.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 01:58:33 am »
I was shown that black helps those of us see the eggs easier.   :)

David

I meant to say, that black helps those of us who have a hard time seeing eggs to see them easier on than the white.  It worked for me any way.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:39:53 am »
black plastic foundation will allow you to see eggs a bit easier than white. both work equally well for both brood and honey.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 07:31:41 pm »
I was told that the black is prefered by the queen to lay eggs in as it has better heat retentive properties, and more resembles older comb.  It also has the side benefit of preventing Brian from laying eggs in your pierco frames... :lol:
I'm not sold on it yet completely as its my first season but it does seem to be easier to extract in the larger Dadant 20 frame extractors, I had a wooden frame blow out and cause a big mess.

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 11:29:18 pm »
>I was told that the black is prefered by the queen to lay eggs in as it has better heat retentive properties, and more resembles older comb.

I don’t personally think there would be any more heat retentive property from black plastic foundation than there would be from white plastic foundation inside the hive. If both were sitting in direct sunlight, that could possibly be said.

As far as resembling old comb, bees prefer old comb because it has had brood raised in it which darkens the comb. How can bees tell the difference between black plastic and white plastic foundation inside a dark hive?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 11:47:37 pm »
>>How can bees tell the difference between black plastic and white plastic foundation inside a dark hive?

residual irridescence?  At least that's the clue my night vision suggests.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 11:56:21 pm »
>residual irridescence?
maybe, but I sure don't know.  do bees have 'residual irridescent' vision?  I've used both black plastic and white plastic foundation and haven't noticed any preference by bees for either, but like you Brian I prefer wax foundation personally.