Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: entrance feeder  (Read 6214 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
entrance feeder
« on: April 11, 2005, 04:07:29 pm »
can anyone tell me how, or  show me a picture of a bordman entrance feeder so I can see how it works I have a general idea but am not sure since all the pictures just show a top view and I dont know how the bees approach it walk ,fly, or standing on something etc i would verymuch appreciate it
billiet

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 04:38:17 pm »
I don't have a picture but, the jar sits upside down on this feeder . There is room between the lid of jar and the bottom of the feeder. The feeder slips into the entrance of the hive where the bees can enter into the feeder crawl under the jar and get the juice.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
entrance feeder
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 07:52:50 pm »
IMO boardman feeders are a bad idea.  They set off too much robbing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jay

• House Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 09:44:32 pm »
Here is a bordman entrance feeder. Although I do agree with Michael that they encourage robbing. More so in the spring than in the fall. If you want an inexpensive feeder, try a 1 gal. pickle jar with tiny holes punched in the top on shims over the vent hole of your inner cover. Place an empty deep box around it and  then the outer cover and voila!

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 10:14:43 pm »
I have entrace feeders michael and have no problems. I only have 2 hives right now and this is the only year I am using the entrace feeders. Later this year I am getting hive top feeders so when I get more hives then I wont have robbing. What I am saying is robbing is not a big problem with entrace feeders unless you have alot of hives competing for nectar sorces. I feed both them the same amount and always make shure they have syrup so they never fight, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 06:29:46 am »
I used entrance feeders last year with no problem, but I only had two hives, too, and both were getting syrup.

For this year, I'm trying frame feeders with floats. The ones without float just drowned bees, even with the "laddered" walls. I tried putting in corks and paint sticks, but that didn't work. So the floats might not, either. We'll see...
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 08:42:50 am »
They should work with floats in them but I wouldnt use them. All I have ever heard was that they are death traps and that is one thing I made shure we didnt order when getting equipment. bye :)
Ryan Horn

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 06:14:43 pm »
I'll let you all know how they work out. I'd like hive top feeders, but they're expensive! I may go with the pickle jar over the inner cover, if these don't work...
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 09:07:20 pm »
You can get them from mannlake for $16 right now on sale
Ryan Horn

Anonymous

entrance feeder
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 09:38:04 pm »
Go to your local pizza joint and ask for the glass gallon jars. I have two places that call me about every two weeks when they have a box of four for me all washed and every thing for free. Olives and peppers come in them. I punch two 1/16 inch holes in them and set them right on top of the hives inter cover hole then place an empty deep around them with the outer cover on top.

I also use self modified frame feeders, I installed floats cut from a short scrap chunks of 2x4 then drilled 3/8 inch holes in the floats also place blocks across the top in two places to stop the bulging, they work great, but I only have two of them. I have heard all the yelling about them taking up room in the hive. Read above I use an empty deep to surround my pickle jars   so whats the beef there. I can place at least 6 in a deep I think an am thinking of ordering a bunch of them just to place in a deep above the girls for warm winter days.

:D Al

Offline Jay

• House Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 10:45:33 pm »
Be carefull of feeding sugar water in the winter time, you can start a good case of dysentary!
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
entrance feeder
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 06:16:12 pm »
Finally broke down and went the rapid feeder route.  Added 4 more holes to my pickle jar lids!!  bahahahahahahahahahah

anything