Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Morning glory photo  (Read 11026 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Morning glory photo
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:09:40 pm »
I've tried for years to take a good picture of my morning glories, especially trying to capture the true blue of them; they've usually come out very wishy-washy.  This time I've finally nailed it!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Morning glory photo
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 10:23:07 pm »
You certainly have!! Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:19:04 am »
Nutral lighting at a bright time of day always helps. An editing program can also be good.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:21:32 am »
Actually, early morning light and no editing (I don't know how to do it!  ;) )

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 08:25:21 am »
An excellent photo.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 12:38:37 pm »
Ann, what a picture of beauty.  I love the close up.  I think I had the same cultivar growing, was yours called "Heavenly Blue"?  I did take some pictures, and they turned out OK, but not to the calibre of yours.  Yeah!!!!  Mine were growing on my northern patio, no full sun, they seemed to like the shadier spot better, I had them in full sun and they revelled when I moved them.  Beautiful day, loving' this life on this great big earth.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 08:03:43 pm »
Cindi, do morning glories grow in the wild in your area? They are considered a weed here and flourish. I guess most wild flowers are just weeds. Never thought about planting morning glories in a hanging basket. They are beautiful.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:15:06 pm »
Very nice! Our morning glories are in full bloom every day on the fence around my bee yard...it gives them something to climb.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:25:46 pm »
"Steve, the white morning glories have been around, growing wild ever since I can remember.  They are deemed a weed.  But there are many cultivars of the species that we as humans propogate, and there are elaborate plants and flowers.

The blue Morning Glory does not grow wild here.  Have a wonderful day, best of this life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 11:29:15 pm »
lovely...just beautiful. I grew several varities of morning glories this year... blue, purple, pink and chocolate. I am sad to say our new neighbors ripped them down 2 weeks ago. I was so mad...but they were on his fence, so I guess it is his right. So sad  :(

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 08:58:19 pm »
Yes, Cindi, they are Heavenly Blue.  They don't reseed around here for me so they aren't weedy at all. 

And OrganicGirl, that's just plain mean!  :(  Yea, it was his right, but what's wrong with someone who could trash something so beautiful?  They'll be gone soon enough with the frost.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 12:41:16 am »
Organicgrl37.  What a nasty piece of ...... I have no sympathy for humans who destruct nature, let alone, someone's flowers.  Grrrr and grrr....I cannot say no more.

Ann, I think that Heavenly Blue is a hybrid. I doubt that if any of the plants self-seeded that they would be true to the Heavenly Blue's flowers. Not sure, but pretty sure they are not the species.  Let me know if any of them self-seed, unlikely, probably sterile even.

I was disappointed in these flowers anyways, I have to learn how to grown morning glories better.  This was the first year that I cultivated them and they were OK, for a couple of weeks only, then they looked like crap!!!  It appears they like really, really warm temps, (which this year we did not see hardly at all), tons of nutrition and shadey areas.

I will try again next year, maybe every year is a different experience,  ;) :) :)

P.S.  I even started them really early in my greenhouse, maybe that was the issue?  Any comments?  Have a wonderful and beautiful day in this beautiful life.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 10:05:36 pm »
Cindi, I know they don't come back from seed, but some do, and that makes some people nervous - the bindweed that looks like our morning glories is so invasive....

For me morning glories need to be in full sun - but they don't start to blossom until the days are getting a bit shorter and the nights a bit longer, usually at the end of July is the earliest, early August is more like it, and then they bloom like gangbusters.  Unfortunately by that time they're usually pretty bare at the base - the leaves down low don't last, so they look kinda straggly until you look up, where the vines are going every which way and blooming.  They'll continue to bloom even through our cold autumn nights until they're cut down by the hard frost.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 12:01:21 am »
Ann, hmmmm....the morning glory and the bindweed, almost one in the same I think, I will tell you a tale.

We have the lovely white Morning Glories that grow abound, all over the fences, arbours (I don't mean at my place), all over everything, they are definitely invasive, they are considered noxious weeds, but I still revel in their beauty.  I can remember as a child these beauties of the morning growing around my Uncle's home and neighbourhood.  Somewhere where I loved to spend time with my cousins and have such strong and beautiful family childhood memories.

Now, every now and then we go up to our Daughter's place, as many times as I possibly can (she lives about 4 hours drive from our home), and  (this is a place where I am not allowed to do anything and I mean I have to do absolutely nothing.  When we visit our Daughter , she expects me to do nothing but her serve me, make our bed even (eeeks!!!!  No one makes my bed but my husband and myself.  But when we visit,  before I can turn my back once I have arisen, the bed is made, kind of makes me feel like how I took care of her when she was a young tike, I am smiling and thinking wonderful thoughts of this beautiful woman of 37 years, that was once my bustling baby girl!!!!)  Oops, where was I?  I got caught up in the thoughts of a visit with my oldest gal.

Right, she has what I thought was a funny form of morning glory growing all over her fields.  I can only now, Ann, because of your thoughts, think that is is probably Bindweed.

I love to walk barefoot, and when I ventured out to her field one morning, bright and early, revelling in the early morning sun that comes over the mountains on (of course) the east side of her property, I walked upon these hideous flowering plants.  Man, what a mistake that was.....my feet hurt for many hours, and I thought I had tough feet, ya, sure!!!!!

Does Bindweed have some kind of thorny thing that an penetrate the soul of a foot?  Well, I don't know, but if that is Bindweed, keep it away from my place, I don't have it, nor do I care to possess it.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life that we live.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 08:22:55 am »
Lovely post, Cindi, I do enjoy your ramblings!  :)

No, bindweed doesn't have thorns, something else must have wandered through that field with the bindweed.  Yes, it is pretty, but awful to control!  We don't seem to have it too bad around here, every once in awhile I'll find one skinny little stem trying to climb up something, a weed or a perennial, I just untangle it and get rid of it - I don't want to tempt fate!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 09:12:13 pm »
Ann, thanks for the kind words!!!! :) :) :)  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 12:23:16 am »
I planted some morning glories at the place I lived at about 5 years ago and they are still producing beautifully. I just break open the dried up pods in the late fall and stomp them into the ground -no kidding- They have been back every year. Some years they are stronger then others. THey are the Grandpa Ott's and Star of Yelta varities....

WOW :shock: look at what I found while looking up morning glories on the web..

http://www.erowid.org/plants/morning_glory/morning_glory_basics.shtml

DESCRIPTION
The seeds of several varieties of Morning Glory (Ipomoea violacea) contain a naturally occurring indole called Lysergic Acid Amide (LSA), which is closely related to LSD. Seeds are taken orally, and can be eaten whole or the active alkaloids can be extracted.

The most common active varieties of seeds are Heavenly Blue, Pearly Gates, and Flying Saucers. Like LSD, LSA acts as a "psychedelic" or "hallucinogen" which can have strong mental effects.

Dose
Threshold effects of LSA can be reached with as few as 25-50 seeds, though most recreational users find it necessary to ingest between 100 and 400 seeds to reach desired effects.

Law
Although LSA is a schedule III substance in the United States, Morning Glory seeds and plants are sold at just about every nursery, garden store, or botanical supply store that you can find. In practice, little hassle is ever given to those who buy and ingest seeds, but extracting the active ingredient puts you in possession of a relatively pure chemical which is illegal to possess.

Chemistry
The seeds of Ipomoea violacea contain about 0.1% ergot alkaloids, including ergotmetrine, chanoclavine and lysergol.

History
Morning Glory seeds called tlitlitzin were used ritually by the Aztec for their psychoactive properties. Spanish chroniclers in the mid 16th century reported on the divinitory use of these seeds. Their use has continued in southern Mexico, although it wasn't until about 1900 that tlitlitzin was identified botanically as Morning Glory.

Slang
The Substance : Tlitlitzin (Aztec)

EFFECTS

Onset
Because use is oral, onset is affected by the last food that was ingested. On a relatively empty stomach, onset of effects is about an hour after ingestion, although it can be many hours before peak effects are reached.

Duration
Primary effects last 6-10 hours when seeds are taken orally.

Contraindications

Do not operate heavy machinery. Do Not Drive.

Do not ingest Morning Glory seeds if you are currently taking an MAOI. MAOIs are most commonly found in the prescription anti-depressants Nardil (phenelzine), Parnate (tranylcypromine), Marplan (isocarboxazid), Eldepryl (l-deprenyl), and Aurorex or Manerix (moclobemide). Ayahuasca also contains MAOIs (harmine and harmaline). Morning Glory Seeds (LSA) and MAOIs are a potentially dangerous combination. Check with your doctor if you are not sure whether your prescription medication is an MAOI.

Do not use Morning Glory seeds when pregnant. LSA is closely related to LSD which is a uterine contractor that can increase risk of miscarriage during pregnancy.

Individuals currently in the midst of emotional or psychological upheaval in their everyday lives should be careful about choosing to use psychedelics such as Morning Glory seeds as they can trigger even more difficulty.

Individuals with a family history of schizophrenia or early onset mental illness should be extremely careful as psychedelics have been known to trigger latent psychological and mental problems.

WHO KNEW????? :shock:

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 02:08:18 am »
   Life's too wild as it is I don't need to add to it. :-D

But my sister sent me a bunch of seeds about twelve years ago and I lost them.  This past spring I started a raised bed and one of my daughters found the bag of all these seeds.  Many things still greww but the most prolific is the Morning glories.  I hadn't seen this plant for so long that I didn't recognize it.  I thought they were some weird flowers my sis sent and I thought they were cool.  The picture of the one I'm holding for the pic had a bumbler force her way into the flower and force her way out again when she was done and I had just snapped my last pic...figures.  That's the way the ball bounces though.  Here are a couple pics of one type I have, taken in the afternoon.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/mydarlingheathens/Flower%20%20and%20Probs/P1020389.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/mydarlingheathens/Flower%20%20and%20Probs/P1020382.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/mydarlingheathens/Flower%20%20and%20Probs/P1020386.jpg

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 10:45:40 am »
qa33010.  Some very nice pictures.

The Vaults of Erowid have some cool stuff in them.  It is surprising how many plants can leave us with our tongues hangin' out, eyes popping big and large, slimey mouth, dry mouth, and the list goes on!!!!! :evil: :roll: ;) :)  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi

Offline lovebeesandtulip

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 02:12:13 am »
hello.  i am from Romania.   i bad english but i understand what wrighte there.  in photo are my hives.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 09:05:08 am »
lovebeesandtulip, you can't post photos yet.  Send your photo to a moderator and they will post it for you, I'd love to see it!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 12:41:06 pm »
lovebeesandtulip.  Do as Ann says, send your pictures to moderator, we love pictures from different countries.  Great day.  Cindi

anything