Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: weird?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline sas_marine@hotmail.com

• House Bee
weird?
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:05:44 am »
ive got 2 hives side by side! both 2 story fs hives with newish queens, both hives had a box with 9 fs frames w foundation added bout 6 weeks ago! 1 hive has completly filled with honey, drawn etc?? the other hive hasnt even moved upstairs yet, the population is lower but i checked the brood box and heaps of brood pollon etc, they just dont go upstairs, any ideas why???

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: weird?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:25:13 am »
Maybe they haven't discouvered the same nectar source. Are they both the same breed?

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:23:10 am »
Are they putting much honey in the lower box?
It might help to move a frame with honey or capped brood up into the next box if the population is strong enough for that.
Maybe it's just that they're of lower population right now. The brood is really the future population.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:43:58 am »
Is one hive really hot and the other quite docile? I have a really hot hive (ready to bloody spray it) and another pretty hot one and they have both worked a LOT! harder than the others.

Offline sas_marine@hotmail.com

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:39:42 pm »
well, the population of the slack hive is still strong, the bottom box is chockers!! but they just dont look interested in the top box at all, its been on top for 6 weeks and its a good spring, and still nothing, its annoying really lol, and yep theres plenty of honey and brood downstairs, so yer ill probly have to move a frame upstairs!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 08:50:40 pm »
put the empty box under the full.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.