Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Free top bar hive building instructions  (Read 4808 times)

Offline buckbee

• New Bee
Free top bar hive building instructions
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:41:04 am »
If you haven't found them already, fully illustrated and free TBH building instructions are available from my site in several downloadable formats.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:19:28 pm by pdmattox »

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Free top bar hive building instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:07:43 pm »
I like the site. very nice.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:33:44 pm »
Buckbee or others...

Thanks for the link, I'm currently reading the posts on your forum as well as the yahoo group warre beekeeping as I'm interested in possibly building a few of these hives just to play around with.  The only reservation I have is that of non-specific comb use, in other words:  I've never harvested honey from comb that I knew to contain brood, but it seems that it is unavoidable with the Warre style hive.  The thought of eating or sharing honey that was in brood cells kind of grosses me out.  Is this something that others in the beekeeping community do as normal practice?  I've manged bees for many years but never mixed the brood and honey combs.  Is my concern reasonable or understandable, or am I being a bit too paranoid about the honey's purity?  Is honey found in brood cells to be viewed as having extra "flavor?"  Everything about the Warre hive or other natural, unobtrusive system is very appealing to me.  I'll probably build a few Warre's for implementation next year regardless of whether or not I harvest any honey, simply because I thoroughly enjoy the culture of bees and would like to give them the opportunity to thrive by their their own devices.  Again- thanks for the link, and thanks for any responses to my question.

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:05:04 am »
Don't know a lot about the Warre but this shouldn't be a big issue in a TBH.

--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:49:50 am »
Is this something that others in the beekeeping community do as normal practice?

Harvesting honey from brood comb is not an issue.   The bees move nectar around in the hive while drying it,  so there is a good chance that some of the honey you harvest from non-brood comb has spent some time in brood comb.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »
The extraction itself isn't a big deal unless the beekeeper uses chemicals that may have left residues behind.  That's not an issue in my apiary.  Where my concern comes from is that my understanding of the Warre was that rather than extract you do a crush and strain.  I've never done a crush/strain from brood comb before.  Doesn't that disturb and liberate alot of the crud found in old brood comb?  I've eaten some bad things before, worse than I imagine could be found anywhere in a naturally regulated beehive :shock:  Honey is supposed to have antimicrobial properties too so it's probably alright.

Offline debay

• New Bee
    • JUST MY BLOGS AND SOME PICS
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:54:45 pm »
if all goes well you should have some comb that is brood free at the outer edges or back of the hive depending on how you build yours. At least thats what Ive read. Im gonna build one too. Guess Ill find out. When I get my Lang hive straight the TBH wil be the hive for just fun. IF I get honey out of it, great. If not, thats what the Lang is for.

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »
What is the URL?

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »
http://www.§¤«£¿æ.com