Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Sales  (Read 2463 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Honey Sales
« on: August 09, 2007, 01:06:42 pm »
I extracted about 20gal this spring and have been doing well selling it. I am averaging $7.50 a pound as I have been selling extra jars to friends at a discount. My question is farmstands and the like. A recent thread mentioned they bought preaches and made honey sales. I was offered a similar opportunity and will make the arrangments to sell some at a farmstand. I dont know what manner in which to establish this business relationship. Sell the honey to him at a discount? Commission? Portion of honey? He also wants a hive for his suburban yard as his farms is about an hour away and he misses bees from his childhood. As for a hive, he may live less than 3 miles away and moving a hive there could be a minor hassle. I am likely to do a swarm prevention split in the spring and give him a nuc for his garden w/ new queen. Any experiences regarding a fair business relationship for both of us would be appreciated.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Honey Sales
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 01:41:06 pm »
MY local framstand (very nice place indeed, fruits, veggies, decorative plants, fresh bread daily, and a cute checkered red and white table cloth, spread over a cascading 3 step high stand - looks just like 3 STRONG and simple shelves, covered with the table cloth.

I spoke to him in depth one time and his placement, he said KEEPING YOUR DISPLAY RACK set up to look as if it is ALWAYS around 35% to 40%  STOCKED with each individual item So if you have 7 unique products at your table, then to have the FRONT FEW ROWS ALWAYS EMPTY, to appear as if the stuff is selling like HOTCAKES!!!!!

That might help. If YOU WANT TO INCREASE SALES, then I think it is YOUR JOB to supply 4X6 inch cards printed with the product NAME other unique info - LARGE FONTS and MOST IMPORTANTLY, leave the PRICE to be filled in by the farmstand guy. These can be stapled on easily below the item at the front of the shift row. Big Fonts, Big - The late Babyboomers are all in need of READING GLASSES, don't make them take their glasses off JUST to read your print - She/He can read size 48 or better yep 70pt fonts for quite a distance, ESPECIALLY in BOLD BLACK with a simple border (millions of free borders on the net) a decorative card that spews of country living, home cooking, pure honey Baby :) Border wise, flowers or some bee comb fading to white toward the center of the card where your large fonts are.

I think it MOST IMPORTANT to ask for a space, no matter where, uniquely, you should have a simple table placed where it is seen well by customers. Or SQUEEZE BEAR SAMPLE JARS (with inexpensive popcicle sticks or mini spoons ) set up at the stand or the main counter - with directions to finding the REAL JARS :)

He should always have more on stock then it appears - mentally the customer sees empty space after a few visis (and not you should shuffly how many products behine each card to look as if it is moving. It is simple, humans are scavengers by nature, we will eat whatever it is to stay alive and it is embred under the modern day human in each of us. "So we see it is selling, It must be delicious it is always moving, so we better buy some before they sell out again." Heck of an illusion, but he drove the point down.

Hope that all helps.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 02:41:32 pm »
I sell it to them by the case.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 03:40:54 pm »
Appreciate ideas. The big print is a useful reminder as I sit here and squint at a glary computer!!!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".