Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How is you beetle population  (Read 5633 times)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: How is you beetle population
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 02:57:55 pm »
I can't say for sure but normally SBB is Screened Bottom Boards, not Solid.   

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 10:44:51 pm »
I'm in SW FL.  I've not seen an increased influx of shb, and have never seen a pile of beetles in my pans like you showed. The last time I saw that many beetles was when I still had my hives in the shade. I was by my hives one evening and was amazed to see dozens of beetles flying in and entering the hives just before dark.  I've not had a problem since I installed sbbs and moved my hives into the sun.  I never use pollen patties, by the way, as they ring the dinner bell for the little suckers. There is always plenty of pollen year-round here, though.

Kedgel,
Does SBBS mean Solid Bottom Boards?
Jim
I guess that is ambiguous... I meant SCREENED bottom boards with pans underneath filled with 1/4" of vegetable oil.
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline Guy

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 11:41:25 pm »
Is everyone seeing a massive bloom in beetles this year. I have screen bottom boards with oil pans and screened top boards and the oil pans in all of my hives are full of dead beetles. Every night i go out and check the screens on top of the hives. Usually I kill a 1/2 dozen to a dozen that are trapped above the hives. Last Night My buddy and I had to work together to kill all of the beetles on the screens. Any where from 30 to 50 on top of each hive and we had cleaned them out the day before. I designed my bottom boards to allow the beetles to go in the back of the hive but they then fall in the oil pans. Does any know of a really good beetle attractant. I made up a jar with slots to allow the beetles in but not the bees. I was told to use oil and apple cider vinegar but all I done is attract and kill flys.
Jim
The best attractant is a mix of pollen and honey.

Offline Guy

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46:15 pm »
I use honey and pollen mixed. It taste bad by the way. Smear a little inside a CD case with a little roach bait.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 12:10:59 am »
I lost a cutout I had in a Nuc earlier this year to SHB.  May have been in the cutout when I brought it home.  Took it from an in-ground water meter.  Haven't notice any beetles in my strong hive, but I made my own version of Linda's trap for my TBH.  Caught six the first week, haven't notice any since.  I think SBBs are key, along with a bit of altitude, 12 inches or so, keep the underside clear.

Check out the "fatbeeman" on Youtube for SHB traps.

Making Small Hive BeetleTraps with the "FatBeeMan"

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 04:59:36 am »
It's warming up here in my part of the world.  Only a month to go until the bees get going in spring.

I had a quick look in my hives yesterday & was shocked to find large numbers of beetles.  I had AJ's beetle eaters in them however there were no beetles in the traps.  Squashed hundreds of the little buggers.  Nothing slimed due to the coolish (Zero to 22 deg c) weather.

I think it shows that you really have to keep your hives crowded to force the beetles into the traps.

Anyway I have placed Apithor baits (fiprinol) onto the bottom boards of every one of my hives.  This is the first time I have tried them & I'm keen to see how they go.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 06:05:52 am »
Anyway I have placed Apithor baits (fiprinol) onto the bottom boards of every one of my hives.  This is the first time I have tried them & I'm keen to see how they go.

Be careful using friprinol on the bottom boards.  If they are not screened, water can collect and wash the bait out of the trap making toxic water. I have found that they are far more effective on top of the brood chamber just under the top about an inch from the end of the top bars. The bees will chase the beetles into the traps.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 06:33:48 am »
Thanks Steve,

I'm following the manufacturers instructions.   

http://www.apithor.com.au/how_to_use_apithor.html

Have you used them?

Manufacturer advises no residue if used as instructed.

Bloody beetles are giving me the gripes!  They aren't sliming me but they are there in large numbers.

I think part of the problem is that I have had two triple 8 frame full depth hives & I have had a peek inside during winter & have noted lots of bees & honey in the third super however I didn't realise that they had left the bottom brood box leaving room for the beetles.

Single super hives in good condition don't have as many.

We have warm weather here & the bees & beetles go all year round.  It is the end of winter here & there is plenty of brood but no drones.

All my hives are level & sloping slightly to the front so drainage shouldn't be a problem.

I'll get the hang of SHB eventually.

Yanta

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 06:49:56 am »
Steve,

You're up early.

Yanta

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 08:30:44 am »
I have 4 hives and the only time I've seen shb is this year in a cut out I hived. Luckly I noticed them before I brought them home. They are now 20 miles from my home in the middle of a field 1/2 mile from the closest shade in a single hive body setting on an 8' x 8' tarp( so any larva cannot make it to soil) with John Pluta traps inside (for the adults). I am bound and determined to completely eliminate them before bringing that hive home. I have no shb at my home and don't want to start. Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

anything