Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beach bees  (Read 5088 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Beach bees
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:52:18 pm »
These girls have been going gangbuster! From a swarm to giving up about 100# of honey in three months. I recently split them and now the split is taking off too!

Beach bees_0001.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Beach bees
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:27:33 pm »
Usually it is so, so windy near beaches that I always wonder how the bees fly around. They sure seem to be bringing in lots of stuff.
Great hive Scott!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:51:42 pm »
Why would it bee illegal to keep bees there?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:12:10 pm »
Allen, NSB has one of those stupid laws that we all love to break :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:31:51 pm »
Maybe this is what Spicoli meant by "a tasty wave and a cool buzz"
You said there is a lot of Palmetto. Do they get something from it? I have acres of it around here.

Offline Honeytree

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:07:39 am »
I love New Smyrna Beach! Growing up in Orlando, I spent many, many a weekend there as a young person. Didn't know they had an anti-beekepper law. Just curious--what's the motivation for those laws? Are the lawmakers worried (however misguidedly) about attacks and swarms? Seems like NSB, even to a non-beekeeper, would seem a great place to keep bees, what with all the vegetation and open area...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:50:48 pm »
Something I was thinking about while riding in the mud Saturday.   With those sand dunes, can SHB reproduce in that sand salt environment?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:44:26 pm »
Allen, the SHB have to be pupating somewhere 'cause they're thick in the area...I suppose the salt doesn't hurt 'em much.

Honeytree, I was born in Winter Park and mostly raised in NSB and Maitland. I live in Osteen now. If you took the back way to NSB and passed Skip's boots...I'm 2 miles from there.

The head Agriculturist of the Fl Dept of AG (Jerry Hayes) has recommended the extermination of feral colonies and swarms. I believe this is to help stem the spread of AHB as well as diseases and that might explain the ordinance.

Of course I never go near swarms or feral colonies :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Honeytree

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 12:06:01 am »
Huh. Jerry Hayes was the speaker last month at my local club's meeting. Well, if I meet him again, I just might ask him to tell me more about his ideas about feral colonies and swarms.  :)