Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring on the farm! (I LOVE IT!)  (Read 2587 times)

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
Spring on the farm! (I LOVE IT!)
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:51:19 am »
Like so much of the country, we've been fighting a wet and cold spring, but Saturday was perfect! Mostly sunny and in the low 60's and I couldn't behave. Started way too many projects!

Put up a new bat house by the garden (The old one got torn down in a winter storm) and got distracted with the two youngest (4 and 5) picking worms from the rich soil. I think we're going fishing today! Went over to the compost pile to get some good leaf mulch for the worms and discovered that one of our Mallards had JUST hatched out 13 babies in the bushes behind my compost frames. We gathered them up (they're outside the "perimeter fence" so the 'coons and 'possums would get them) and set up another brooder in the garage beside the one with the two-week old white pekins.

Two hen turkeys sitting on clutches of eggs and both are starting to get funny. I think we're going to see poults very soon!!

Took my wife out with #1 son to check on his new bees after lunch and they're doing great! One week in their new homes and they're going to town. Drawing comb, gathering pollen should be able to inspect for eggs soon.

Very good day!

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Re: Spring on the farm! (I LOVE IT!)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:58:59 am »
Sounds like you have a veritable zoo for the children to enjoy.  They must love it.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 02:08:09 am »
My wife doesn't call our place a zoo, yet, but she does call it a menagerie.  We have 3 kinds of bees, 4 kinds of chickens, 2 kinds of turkeys, 4 goats, 1 cheviot ram, 6 rabbits ( each a different color) and about 50 pigeons ( in about 12 different colors).  I have people come by just to see the animals.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 11:31:21 pm »
HomeBru, how wonderful is that.  Yes, spring is coming fast and furious.  I was very happy to hear about your Mallard and her hatch.  She was very fortunate that when she was brooding on the eggs that something didn't get her.  Oh spring, when all the birds love to be mothers.  You have something very cool going on there with all the babies -- and to go fishin' with the kids, yay!!!

When we were at Brian Bray's house last summer at the bee barbeque, he had some wee little children that walked by his property.  Brian stood for quite some time talking to them about his farm animals and they sure would enjoying to look at the critters.  It is a wonderful thing to be able to share our farmyard critters to those that don't know them.  Beautiful day in our great life, love, live and groove on it, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything