Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring is just around he corner!  (Read 7497 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Spring is just around he corner!
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:39:33 am »
Not long now and the excitement begins!

I opened my hive yesterday to get some frames out for an emergency nuc to save a queen i had been given in a small log hive! WOW! my hive was packed! absolutely crammed full. Six of the eight frames were crammed with brood, two of the frames were completely full of honey and there were so many drones! i was amazed! I took three frames out for the nuc:

2 X Brood and bees associated with the frame
1 X Honey and bees associated with the frame

I then consolidated the brood nest and placed 2 X and 1 X frames with new foundation on the outsides of the brood nest...

Bring on Spring! it's looking exciting hahahah and, if all goes to plan, i will go in to it with a second hive that i have made from:

- a Queen that i caught and caged without squashing from a feral hive in a log (a first for me - actually it was the first time i have ever identified an unmarked queen)

- nurse bees that i caught and caged with the queen without squashing

- a nuc that i made up and have never done before

- a queen introduction that i have never done before

:-D

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Spring is just around he corner!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:37:57 am »
Yeehaa!

A lot of activity these last 2 days with the sun being out. I didn't open the hive, but I saw plenty of pollen comming in and also a drone poked his head out. Things are deffinitely on the move. Get ready for the swarms my friend!

:lol:

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:58:50 am »
Can't wait! i've got some plans for 5 frame nucs from plywood! under $20 per nuc and you can get three out of a 1200 X 2400mm piece!bring it on hahahha. If you get more than you can handle i'm happy to help out  :-D

When do you reckon swarms will start Phil? I was blown away by just how chockers my hive was and it was packed with drones and drone cells... I'm going to have to move in to swarm prevention soon - thankfully i put those three undrawn frames in there

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:56:39 pm »
Here in Northern NSW the bees are bringing in nectar and pollen. There have been drone cells and drones for a little while. There are swarm cells.

Yesterday I saw a drone flying for the first time.
Built an observation hive, now building a few nucs. I'm making the nucs from old supers with damaged sides.

There is a wattle tree here covered in bloom and bees are all over it in the mornings. I had a close look and saw native bees too.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:30:46 am »
A bit wet today, but the deciduous trees are starting to bloom. There's a almond a couple of houses down covered in flowers and something else across the road. None of ours have gone into bloom yet, but they're not far off!

I really have to finish those spare boxes quick smart and that darn vacuum box...

As to swarms, shouldn't be too far off. I think they'll wait until we start getting a few good days in a row. Don't worry 'Buzz, I'll send some your way.

Wouldn't mind building an observation hive either. It would go well with the bee monitoring station if I ever get it finished. I'm trying to convert a wireless router over at the moment but struggling with the software build.  :roll: I intend to have atleast one webcam attached to it for watching my girls with.  :)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:45:37 am »
a bit wet today, but the deciduous trees are starting to bloom. There's a almond a couple of houses down covered in flowers and something else across the road. None of ours have gone into bloom yet, but they're not far off!

I really have to finish those spare boxes quick smart and that darn vacuum box...

As to swarms, shouldn't be too far off. I think they'll wait until we start getting a few good days in a row. Don't worry 'Buzz, I'll send some your way.

Wouldn't mind building an observation hive either. It would go well with the bee monitoring station if I ever get it finished. I'm trying to convert a wireless router over at the moment but struggling with the software build.  :roll: I intend to have atleast one webcam attached to it for watching my girls with.  :)

It's almost a case of 'man the battlestations'! very exciting!

If you're after more boxes let me know - i've come across a guy that can do a complete 8 frame box, hot wax dipped, three coats of paint for $17! I'll happily take whatever you don't want hahaha... oh and the offer is still there for you to shift your hives for the upcoming red gum flow if you like...

Bee monitoring station! sounds very interesting! can't wait to see the end result!

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 02:59:49 am »
Where to get yourself listed for swarm collection? I wanted to get listed by the southern beekeepers but they want me to join the club. With my job, family and largish property i have no time to go there...so no point joining.

Any other way to get name our there for swarm collection?

I am Mornington Peninsula area.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:42:05 am »

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 08:00:32 pm »

Might be less hassle to buy one pre-assembled? or even flat packed to assemble? I've been told i can have one in the house too! thank you Beechworth Honey hahah for having an observation hive that entrawled my wife

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 12:25:57 am »

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 06:12:59 am »
I built my observation hive Kenyan top bar style. It's made of thin plywood and glass from a broken window. One sloping wall is entirely glass. It's a very simple, easy design, but I had someone on hand to cut the glass for me. It's not quite finished. Wood glue and small nails to join plywood, silicone to join glass to wood.

The top bars are the same length as frames and the hive is as deep as a deep. It's as wide as two ten frame deeps side by side, so I can super it. I intend to operate it as a fully functioning hive.

Phil, I'm sure somebody's done a wireless router conversion that would suit your needs, if you don't mind copying their ideas. hackaday.com might be worth a look.

What's a vacuum box?

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 05:07:08 am »
Cullz, we would love to see some pics :)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 12:43:44 pm »
Yes pics would be nice.

A vacuum box, maybe should have said bee vacuum instead. It's a way of collecting feral bees using a vacuum cleaner and a collection box.

Wireless router hacks, I'm using hints from the openwrt and dd-wrt forums. I've made a lot of progress with the router in the last week. I now have a working usb port on it and I have tested a serial port and webcam running on it too. Once I get it to boot up the way I want it to, I will then write a program to collect the data. Eventually I will have my own site up where I can show off my bees and how much weight the hive is putting on.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 03:46:08 am »
I've see about taking some photos.

I just caught the first swarm of the season here.  :-D

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 04:44:26 am »
Nice  :)

All I've had since Jan have been cut outs. :-\

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 06:27:09 am »
I've see about taking some photos.

I just caught the first swarm of the season here.  :-D

You suck hahahahah (Just Joking)  :-D ;) :) :mrgreen:

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 08:26:42 am »
The wattle has been in full bloom for the past few weeks here in Brisbane, it looks great.

I collected my 1st swarm for the season about 3 weeks ago. Not too big, and missed the queen, but with feeding them 50/50 syrup, plus a frame of brood and frame of honey they have built comb like mad and produced 4-5 queen cells which have now all been ripped open by the 1st emerging queen.
Will check in another 2 weeks and see if I have some eggs/brood.

I have started putting some new honey supers and frames together but I just hope I can keep up. I'm up to 6 hives now  :-P

EXCITING TIMES ON THE WAY!

ML