Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: developed a reaction to bee sting  (Read 3505 times)

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
developed a reaction to bee sting
« on: June 16, 2007, 08:11:45 pm »
My right hand has developed a reaction to bee stings. I got stung a bunch of times in it last weekend while doing a cut out and the swelling had gone down a few days ago. I got one more sting today and it swelled right back up and burns. Hope it is just residual affect.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Re: developed a reaction to bee sting
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »
I kind of had the same problem. I had been stung many times with no effect other then the normal sting pain and some itchiness. But then one day I got stung on my wrist and my whole arm swelled up. I took precautions not to get stung again for some time. I recently stopped worrying about it and got stung again. No side effects. I read somewhere that if you get stung on one day then get stung again a few days later you body may still be "fighting" the first sting and then it reacts again causing kind of an over reaction. I read this on some type of medical website I cant find the link right now but if I find it I will post it.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:47:18 pm »
not an unusual reaction.   i would suggest putting the ring away though.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:50:44 am »
Ha, Nice hand!!!!  have a great day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 01:56:28 pm »
I had a sting about two years ago that swelled up my ankle to where I couldn't walk.  I haven't had hardly any reaction since.  As long as it's local I would consider it normal.  I would stop wearing the ring before you have to have it cut off.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 02:21:49 pm »
Back In the 70's I had to cut my wedding ring off.My finger felt alot better then.The ole lady left about a month later I really felt good then
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 05:41:43 pm »
I believe a lot of the reaction are from what the bee's are foraging on, I know when my bee's are working blue berries and I get stung it doesn't swell but festers like a ant bite, other time it does nothing...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 09:22:49 pm »
Another theory is that OTC pain meds make it worse.  I don't use any, so I have no opinion on the matter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:35:10 am »
Yeah I try and remember to take it off when I am in the hives, but I don't always. I swelled all the way up to my elbow yesterday and had ice packs on it all day. I guess I will have to wear gloves for awhile and give my right hand a rest. I am pretty sure that it is just leftover reaction from last weekend as I also got hit in the shoulder and that just looks like a regular bee sting. I am glad it is going back down though; if it got any worse there would be no avoiding a visit to the ER.
Sugarbush Bees