Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Had a fascinating dilemma today.  (Read 3607 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Had a fascinating dilemma today.
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:53:53 am »
I went back to my work ute this afternoon, which had been parked about 100m up the road with the tailgate down. I found about 30-40 bees scouting out a new home in the wooden racks in the back. It was fascinating to watch, there were bees coming and going and they were walking to and fro, and side to side in the cavity behind the drawer, sizing it up. My dilemma was, do I sit and watch the process unfold as a swarm arrives and sets up house in the back of the car, or do I shut the whole thing up and move the car. Yeah, I had to move the car in the end but I really, really wanted to see what would happen next, I just didn't have a box or anything else to capture a swarm in.

Which leads to my next question, do you guys just keep a swarm catching kit in the car during the season? Just in case?

Offline sambarman

• New Bee
Re: Had a fascinating dilemma today.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 06:28:30 am »
I do. Here's a swarm I picked up yesterday.
Can't put pics up - system won't allow it?????
I put it up on my avatar.............................. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:50:14 am by sambarman »
Critter Getters - Wildlife, Animal Damage & Pest Control
Melbourne, Australia Ph: (03) 59673051 E: admin@wildpro.com.au

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:28:03 am »
I went back to my work ute this afternoon, which had been parked about 100m up the road with the tailgate down. I found about 30-40 bees scouting out a new home in the wooden racks in the back. It was fascinating to watch, there were bees coming and going and they were walking to and fro, and side to side in the cavity behind the drawer, sizing it up. My dilemma was, do I sit and watch the process unfold as a swarm arrives and sets up house in the back of the car, or do I shut the whole thing up and move the car. Yeah, I had to move the car in the end but I really, really wanted to see what would happen next, I just didn't have a box or anything else to capture a swarm in.

Which leads to my next question, do you guys just keep a swarm catching kit in the car during the season? Just in case?

yes pretty much all the time i even carry a folding ladder

Offline wannabeehobbit

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »
If the space in your vehicle permits it, always be prepared and carry any equipment you may need with you.

Offline bigsting

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:08:46 am »
standard equipment is a 10 frame hive and a nuc box if space is plenty I have used white fome box hesan bag      or any thing that will hold bee till you get home just think out side the squre when you are unprepared  I have a 10 frame box with a lid and bottem which which I kepe smoker and other be bit in just rough vertion of this  but a 10 frame vertion just made out of bee box bits asuper bottom and a hinged lid   http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Merrill-Tool-Box/productinfo/247/