Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive placement on a hive stand.  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Hive placement on a hive stand.
« on: May 06, 2013, 04:15:15 pm »
Tomorrow I will be getting 2 nucs hopefully if it doesn't rain.

My first hive is 16 days old and from an installed pkg. Queen is laying well. There is capped brood and they have stores of pollen and capped honey.

My hive stand can hold 3 hive each about 8 inches apart. When I bring my nucs in tomorrow should I put them on that hive stand or go ahead a place them on another one I have away from my first hive?

My concern is, since my first hives population is declining daily until the brood start to hatch, will that cause issues with the nucs being stronger?

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Hive placement on a hive stand.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:42:47 pm »
Unless you have a hive stand a mile away, I don't think it's going to matter much. Keep the entrance reduced so the packaged bees can defend if need be. One of my nuc hives seem weaker than the one sitting next to it, but I haven't had any trouble with them.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:46:18 pm »
8" between hives might be a little tight to work them comfortably. If you have extra (like there is such a thing right?) woodenware set it up somewhere and test working it to see how much space you like.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:53:28 pm »
I have had two empty hives with the entrances closed sitting on my hive stand next to my current hive and do not find it too confined of a space for working it. (so far) That may change as the hives get higher.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 05:04:38 pm »
Well, were you put your bees they'll want to stay for good.  Unless you cherish moving colonies around all the time which is a real pain in the butt.  I recommend placing the nucs where the hive will eventually be.

Plus i don't understand.  Are you saying you have 3, 5 frame nucs next to each other on a stand with only 8 inches apart?  If that's the case you don't have room to hive the bees into bigger boxes (8 or 10 framers) without moving at least one of them.

hardwood is right about working space too.  I like to have 2 hives worth of space for a single hive.  Make life a lot easier.
Make Mead!

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:05:27 pm »
I have had two empty hives with the entrances closed sitting on my hive stand next to my current hive and do not find it too confined of a space for working it. (so far) That may change as the hives get higher.

David
I think the one that would give you trouble is the middle one. I, for one, won't stand in front of the hives, so I do any work from the side or rear. There's 8" or so between my hives. I'll be building a new stand to put a bit more space between them and them be able to add a third or forth hive to bunch them up for winter to help them conserve heat. Assuming of coarse that I get more hives.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 05:21:16 pm »
Lets say you've got three hives with 8" between. the center hive is two boxes tall and the outside hives are three. Does 8" give you enough room to pry the lid off from any angle or would you only be able to attack it from the open end?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 05:47:41 pm »
Hey guys and gals,

What was I thinking???

A picture is worth a thousand words.  :-D

All my hives are and will be 8 frame mediums.

This is the way they are currently.

I do have a little room to spread them out as in this picture.

And yes, this is their permanent location.

And yes it is raining again.  :'(

Got to love this Georgia weather. :) Its May 6th and only 56 degrees.

Thanks for you help. I do appreciate it.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »
Looks fine.  If you want a few extra inches for working space move the end hives to their respective edge.  You got it.

OR...

Make a new platform out of 2x4's that is a few feet longer.  Place it on the existing legs.
Make Mead!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:29:52 pm »
That second pic looks ok if you don't need to put frames down anywhere. The first looks a bit tight.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »
I think that those hives are difficult to nurse. The middle one is difficult.

Perhaps it looks nice but it is not nice to backbone.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:17 pm »
to Hardwood: I built the width of the stand to act as a frame holder so I can place the frames on the stand between the hives.

To Finski: You may be right about the back. We will have to see.

The only other concern is the height of the stand. I built it that high to discourage vermin from getting into the hive however upon further consideration, it may be too high work once I add supers. We will have to wait and see on that one.

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"