Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gateway timeout, possible answer  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Gateway timeout, possible answer
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:19:11 am »
It was a rainy day yesterday and I spoke to Dell about my gateway timeout issues.

His suggestion, the same as my brother's.  He suggested that I purchase an external hard drive ($150 or so).  Put all my computer data on it, restore my computer to how it was when I purchased it, then put back on my personal stuff that I would like to have on the hard drive, simply put.

He said that I probably have way too much adware, spyware, etc. on the hard drive to even begin to clean it up.  I have been very very lazy (ignorant actually) of the need to "clean up" this junk on a regular basis.  I have only cleaned up the junk on this laptop once, and he said that that is not enough.  I have had the laptop for almost 2 years and have never done any type of clean up on it.  I was rather embarrassed when he told me this, I am not the lazy type, just ignorant of the importance of cleaning up the junk that gets stored on hard drives.

So, when I can get an external hard drive, this task shall be done.  Then maybe I will have good functionality on my laptop again.  That will be a happy day.  Best of a beautiful day, great day, good health wishes to all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Re: Gateway timeout, possible answer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:04:47 pm »
Cindi

I use Ad-Aware SE Personal to keep mine clean. Before doing all that work you should try it. It is free and works real good. You may have to run it, delete all critical files it finds, run it again, delete all critical files it finds, etc. Keep running it until you get no critical files found. Then reboot and run it again until no critical files are found. My daughter had terrible problems with her computer and I had to run it a bunch and reboot three times but I finally got it clean. She now runs it once per week. Worth a try!

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:42:10 am »
Zunibee.  Yes, my brother tried to clean up my computer last weekend.  We downloaded Ad-adware SE and there were about 200 critical issues.  But we didn't do it again.  I am indeed going to try it again like you said a couple more times and see what was up.

Another thing that I have not been doing (slap on the wrist) is deleting the temporary internet files.  My husband did that ysterday and it worked for about 10 minutes deleting them all.  Oh brother.  I guess I need to find out a little more about keeping this laptop clean.

The reason why it came to the attentin of my husband that the internet temp files needed to be cleared were because with the Windows picture and fax viewer there were probably about 400 images that were stored on the laptop.  Oh brother.  I don't doubt that too was slowing things down to an incredible degree.  He also removed some programs from my start up.

We bought an external hard drive nevertheless.  He is going to work on my computer later on today and clean it all up, restore to "as new" condition.  We'll see what comes of this.

Something interesting right now, while I am stil typing this post, the gateway timeout has not occurred.  Now I really wonder what is going on.  Maybe it is the beekeeping forum that I am only having the gateway timeout issues on.  We'll see.  Best of a beautiful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jacmar

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 01:23:51 pm »
Cindi,

Try to Google "Gateway time Out". I just tried that and it has quite a few entries describing just what you have been having trouble with.

Also you say it hasn't timed out while you are using it today. There is a chance that by cleaning out your Temp internet files you may have got rid of the command that would go searching and give you a 504 fault.

Jack
"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 01:12:38 am »
Jacmar, no, the gateway timeout still occurred while I was in the beekeeping forum, when I was in the computer tech forum, I was posting for a longer time, with no gateway timeout.  Go figure!!!

I still wonder if I issued a keyboard command by the slip of my finger that caused some kind of disfunction on this forum....all think about this one.

My husband is working on my computer, I am giving hiim advice (and he dislikes this intensely) about advice from me, here and there.  Men should be kings of their castles, and when women try to reign, all hell breaks loose.  I have learned this lesson again and again.  Best day, good health.  Cindi

Being a woman, loving to give advice, him being a man hating to take advice, we are in deadland.  The principles of "women are from venus and men are from mars" befuddles me at times  :evil:.  I still cannot "get" this stuff.  Have a wonderful night, great day and good health wishes for all.  Cindi

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:14:35 pm »
Cindi -

Read my other post as to what I think it is. You might also want to right-click on your task bar, select Task Manager, click on the Processes tab and then maximize the window. Next, press Alt + Prt Scr (print screen). Open  MS Paint, Edit, paste, save the file to your desktop and upload the the jpg or bmp file here so we can look at your processes running. I can tell if there is a virus running form that list (most of the time).

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:43:59 pm »
UtahBees, I'm not trying to step on Cindi's problems here, but could you also do that for me?  I run Trend Micro, and I think it does a good job, but every once in awhile while I'm typing it seems as though the key buffer gets slow as heck and my words don't show up flowingly, if you know what I mean, the letters appear jerky, and sometimes it even stops typing my words at all, and I have to retype them....anyhoo, I thought it might be a keylogger virus. 

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:02:18 pm »
Yeah - sure. Take a screen print of your processes and post here. I'll take a look.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:06:42 pm »
Ok, here they are (I had to take two to get the last few):

I hope you can read them!  Thanx!

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 01:20:59 am »
Reinbeau -

From looking at every process, I couldn't find anything that you should be alarmed about. They all checked out on my book. You can though, have less processes running, and system performance will go up (obviously).

If you go to Start/Run and type msconfig, and go to the Startup tab, You can uncheck the following on your list:

realsched.exe - this is Real Player auto update
jusched.exe - this is Java Runtime auto update
KodakCss.exe - sounds like you have a digital camera or printer from them

maybe:
pcmservice.exe - part of Dell's media experience software
tfswctrl.exe - HP's DVD burning software, maybe you have an internal or external HP drive?

Then you close, save and Restart. If something doesn't look right after it reboots (since we disabled a few things) go back and turn them on in the list again, and reboot.

After rebooting, you'll get a message stating that you changed some things, just close that box.

Hope this helps.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 01:38:34 am »
UtahBees.  I am going to look at your other post to see what you said, I don't recall it.  I copied your last post into word and saved it onto my desktop.  I will peruse it in the A.M.  It is 9:36 P.M. and I am going to be heading off to bed pretty soon, after a long day working outside, I am weary, I think much better early in the morning.  I get up around 4:30 or so, so I will check out your instructions, and comply. I want to take a minute or two to check out posts on the forum.  Have a wonderful night, great day tomorrow, great life, and all that goes with it.  Good health.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 07:24:33 am »
Thank you, UtahBees, I'll turn those off.  I'm familiar with Msconfig, I've already turned off a couple things, but I hadn't fiddled around with it lately.  I'm with Cindi, too, I get up early, so I do those thinking things in the morning  :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 11:19:11 am »
UtahBees.  Did the print screen, Interesting, right I forgot, in this forum (computer tech) I don't get the timeout gateway, go figure out that one.  Have a wonderful day, great life, good health.  It is so nice to not have the gateway timeout when I am typing a post, by the way.  Cindi

Nope, I can't get imageshack to load.  I have waited for over 2 minutes.  I will try again later on.  Gotta get going on morning stuff, I slept in today.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 12:25:04 pm »
No problem. I'm here all week ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 12:50:49 am »
UtahBees.  Trying again to load ImageShack.  Nope, ImageShack is not even showing up on my screen below the text window.  Now Gateway Timeout.  I think that I am just going to have to wait for my husband to wipe out my hard drive.  We have an external hard drive that all my stuff on the hard drive has been transferred to.  All he has to do now is wipe out the laptop hard drive, and start over, but he has been extraordinarily busy lately.  They say that good things take time, I am a patient person, so I wait.  Have a wonderful day, great life, best of health.  Cindi

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 03:37:09 pm »
UtahBees.  Trying again to load ImageShack.  Nope, ImageShack is not even showing up on my screen below the text window.  Now Gateway Timeout.  I think that I am just going to have to wait for my husband to wipe out my hard drive.  We have an external hard drive that all my stuff on the hard drive has been transferred to.  All he has to do now is wipe out the laptop hard drive, and start over, but he has been extraordinarily busy lately.  They say that good things take time, I am a patient person, so I wait.  Have a wonderful day, great life, best of health.  Cindi

Some times thats the easiest way to go, after messing around for days I some times just give up, format and reinstall, problem fixed in an hour.

Make sure you have all your drivers before you start.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 03:41:06 pm »
Yes, exactly.

UtahBees

anything