Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New To Forum  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Nimrod

• New Bee
New To Forum
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:54:31 pm »
Hello everyone from Toombs Co. Georgia.  Just starting into the bee business.  Looking at starting with all medium hive bodies, anyone with ideas?

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
Re: New To Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum....as for advice...beekeeping is a very addictive and can be enjoyed by the entire family, have fun with your new adventure.  As for the medium boxes the older I get the better the idea sounds.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Moots

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:59:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum, lots of good folks and experience here for us newbies to take advantage of.  I'm new to beekeeping myself...got interested in late October and got my first bees mid January.  Loving every minute of it.  rbinhood is correct, totatlly addictive!  :-D

As to the all mediums route....that's the direction that I went and so far feel like it's been a solid choice.  I actually went with all mediums, 8 frame.  As you will quickly learn in beekeeping, no opinion, decision, or method garners unanimous approval.  However, I'd have to say my decision to go all mediums has been met with reactions of agreement and approval from about 90% of the beeks I mention it to. It seems to be becoming a popular trend....

Good luck!  :)

One afterthought.....You say "bee business"....If you're truly looking at it as a business, understand all mediums will increase your equipment cost.  You'll need more boxes, more frames, more foundation, etc. etc.
Some will argue that the money you save on back surgery and PT will more than offset that... :laugh:

Offline Nimrod

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:53 pm »
I will retire the end of this year from 42 years service to a financial institution.  I am ready to get outside and work.  I have a number of people asking me to put bees out on their farms, I don't want to work that much, but just enough to keep busy and in fish bait money.  I plan on going up to about 25 hives.  If it works out I have several retired friends I think I can talk into the business.   I don't expect to make money just stay busy and cover expenses.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:00:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  25 hives is a lot of work btw but can be done.  So how much fish bait money you need?   Those cats eat live bream on a hook in the river down there. 

Offline Nimrod

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:14:29 pm »
It doesn't take much cash to fish, just getting there is expensive.  I plan on putting hives out on farms on the way to my place at the river.  Since it is a business and I have to check hives the expense to the river is tax deductible.  Will have honey hives in swamp for tupalo honey.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:21:14 am »
Welcome to the forum, Nimrod.  A lot of beek are going to all meduims, some to 8 frames.  The older fellow that had my bees had all his in single deeps and used only shallow supers.  But I can see the advantages of using only one size for brood and supers.  Good luck with your bees.  I got mine in fall of 2011, so last year was first honey to sell.  I made enough to cover the cost of the bees and supers.

Joe

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:50 pm »
Welcome and good luck. We do love to fish.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."