Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Add new foundation ?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Dr. B in Wisconsin

• House Bee
Add new foundation ?
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:12:58 pm »
Hello

I am new to this forum and new to bee keeping. I installed my bees 21 days ago and things I believe are going very well. I would say 6 of the 10 are full of brood in the bottom box. I am thinking of installing the next box but I am concerned that the weather is going to be too cold, it is going to be in the low 40's for the low and about 50 / 55 for the high for the next several days. My question is will the second box cool the entire hive down too much and endanger the brood or will the existing bees keep everything warm enough with the cold temp. ?? Thanks in advance.

Brian

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Re: Add new foundation ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:23:29 pm »
Yes, it will cool the hive down.  The bees need to keep that brood in the 90's and if you put a big open space on the hive with the temps in the low 40's (my place was below freezing last night) and a small bee population, you are probably not doing them any favors.  Plus, the bees will start dropping off pretty quickly until you get a couple of cycles of brood going, then the population will explode.  If you are really full of bees, you could rotate an outer frame to the center to open up your brood nest and get it drawn out quicker.  You will need to add that box soon (within a week or 10 days), but I'd wait til your weather improves...maybe it will be better over the weekend.
-Mike

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Add new foundation ?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:18:54 pm »
If both boxes are the same size, you could add the new one on bottom, leaving the bees in the top box. It won't affect the temps. as much that way.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*