Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: THey Attacked me today  (Read 1800 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
THey Attacked me today
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:37:36 pm »
My fault of course, I went to change the entrance on the sundance bottom hive, and I didn't use a smoker, Well they got really angry.... and even though I was in my full suit , I still panic a little.. I was 200 feet away from the hive and they where still coming after me... finally made to my home 450' away and they stopped. Geez that smoker needs to be fired up more often I guess....

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: THey Attacked me today
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:47:40 pm »
No, not me. I would NEVER say I told you so...   :evil: :lau:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:49:44 pm »
live and learn :lau: :lau:
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:46:46 pm »
well I had swapped the entrance a number of times before.... and not used smoke....I guess that is another sign of a healthy Hive LOL

Offline newbeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:14:57 pm »
Dude, well, at least I have to commend you for wearing Gear. We always smoke!  :pinkelephant:

Offline tsmullins

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:09:59 pm »
My fault of course, I went to change the entrance on the sundance bottom hive, and I didn't use a smoker, Well they got really angry.... and even though I was in my full suit , I still panic a little.. I was 200 feet away from the hive and they where still coming after me... finally made to my home 450' away and they stopped. Geez that smoker needs to be fired up more often I guess....

This is my first year of beekeeping.  I had one usually gentle hive chase me for 150', and that was after I smoked them.  Other times, they could care less I was taking apart their home.

Seems like if I have two hives on the same stand, and I am working on the first hive, the second hive will be hotter than usual.  Also, I have learned not to work them the day after thunderstorms. 

I try to make a point to be around my hives at least once a day, weather permitting.  Not getting into the hives of course.  Just walk by and have a look at what is going on.  Maybe the bees get used to seeing me, I enjoy the walk anyways. 

Good luck,

Shane

BTW I have heard that you can't outrun a honeybee.  I know that to be false.  I found that out the day after I moved one of my colonies from a 7 frame nuc to a standard 10 frame hive.  Also learned, the day after you work them, they tend to be a bit hot.

Offline mushmushi

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:11:15 pm »
Yeah...

Are you glad now you were suited up ? ;)

People on this forum said once: "one day, the bees will show you who is boss". I definitely agree.

The smoker is there for a reason ;)

Offline dragonfly130

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »
The flow stopped here for a while, probably did where your at too which explains some of the defensiveness.