Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Open air swarm colony at the local airport. 6/19/2013  (Read 2780 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Open air swarm colony at the local airport. 6/19/2013
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:25:36 am »
I got my second swarm call from my friend Jeff Corson. He works at the local airport and this swarm set up housekeeping on a tree branch next to the perimeter fence. This is the first time I have seen an open air colony up north here. I have heard of them, just not seen them personally.  I didn't find the queen but these bees were very calm and were building some comb on the branch. As soon as I shook them in the box,they were fanning the familiar lemon pledge smelling pheremone quite profusely. With the exception of a few stragglers early on, even the returning foragers were returning to the new house. We went for a coffe and returned just as the sun was ready to set and the remaning bees had found their way to the box. I put a screened top on and didn't even bother to close the entrance for the ride home in the trunk. I got home after sunset, set the hive on the blocks and listened to them humming away in a relaxed state. Great retrieval!!

http://s93.photobucket.com/user/kwrabbit/library/Open%20air%20colony%20Williamsport%20airport%20June%202013

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Open air swarm colony at the local airport. 6/19/2013
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:38:01 am »
Nice catch. Good size, too.

PS.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 01:47:27 pm »
Thanks Iddee! :)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 05:39:09 pm »

This is the first one I encountered in an oak tree earlier this year.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 08:00:49 pm »
Happy Birthday Ken and nice swarm removal. They made some weird comb there.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 11:03:45 pm »
Nice job. Nice birthday present Ken. I also have a hive that was an open air hive. They are one of the most docile hives that I have. Made 2 mediums of honey this year already.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 10:15:04 am »
Looks like a great birthday present!  Happy birthday to you.  You pulled their fat out of the fire.  At the very least the bush was too small to support a completely established hive (capped brood and stores).  They had no chance had you not come along.  Were there eggs in any of the drawn comb?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 02:44:45 pm »
No eggs yet in the comb on the tree. the wax was really way,indicating it was pretty fresh. I think they had just decided they were not moving on for whatever reason.There was considerable nectar in the fresh comb.Nothing capped.