Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen mating times  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
queen mating times
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:32:35 pm »
I was on the phone with the Dadant Florida office talking to one of the sales people. Mentioned something about queens and mating flights. I was told that queens generally will not take mating flights in January because of the shortened daytime hours. That because a queen takes so long to get ready for a mating flight which usually takes place in the afternoon. That by the time the mating flight was over it would be dark and the queen would lose her way back home.

So here are my questions:
1. I am southern beekeeper. I am not sure I buy what she is saying. But for the northern beekeepers if you lose a queen over winter is the hive doomed or will they make a new queen who would actually do a mating flight in winter? Despite the cold and shorten sunlight.

2. For us southern beekeepers that don't have a winter would this even apply to me?

3. How many of the queens sold are artificial insementated? I assume that means winter has no effect either.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: queen mating times
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:18:23 pm »
Was it molly that you talked to?  She seems to be knowlogeable when i have spoken with her. I don't know a lot in that tecnical arena but would assume that mating should'nt be a problem for you.  Sounds like experiment time.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 08:30:01 pm »
>But for the northern beekeepers if you lose a queen over winter is the hive doomed or will they make a new queen who would actually do a mating flight in winter?

The hive is doomed.  The earliest I've seen them successfully rear a queen here, was March and that was last winter when we really didn't HAVE much of a winter.  Otherwise if they are queenless, I'd just shake them into a queenright hive on a chilly but not too cold day.  On a warm day (flying weather) I'd shake them in FRONT of the hive I want to add them to.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:47:57 am »
I found a drone just outside the hive entrance on Sat.. this is a hive that flies at 38F.. it look like it had mated.. the stuff sticking out ended like a "Y" at the tip.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:19:21 pm »
<I'd just shake them into a queenright hive on a chilly but not too cold day.  On a warm day (flying weather) I'd shake them in FRONT of the hive I want to add them to.>

Why not just shake them inside the hive regardless of heat or cold?  I keep hearing this, what you say, so there must be a good reason, but I need to know the answer.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:50:50 pm »
>Why not just shake them inside the hive regardless of heat or cold?  I keep hearing this, what you say, so there must be a good reason, but I need to know the answer.

On a day they are flying they may be defending the hive.  Shaking strange bees into a hive may set off a fight.  On a day they are not flying they probably aren't trying to defend the hive, and they are more likely to be accepted without a fight.

Shaking them in front of the hive makes them crawl into the hive humbly wanting to be accepted.  Dumping them in the hive can set off aggression by both groups.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 09:19:56 am »
Michael, the reasons you give for dumping the bees in the hive or shaking them infront of the hive is completely good sense, never thought of it in that way and I listen and learn.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 10:59:21 pm »
What a great Idea Michael
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon