Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding bees is EXPENSIVE! Any ideas on purchasing sugar cheaper than at the loc  (Read 7522 times)

Offline challenger

• House Bee
I have several nucs I purchased recently and the flow here is all but over. I planned on feeding them light syrup anyway but I've gone through 80 lbs of sugar in 10 days and I can see I will need to feed them for quite a while. Anyone have any "thrifty" ideas on purchasing sugar?
Thanks-Howard
Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research

Offline RickeyENC

• New Bee
Have you checked out Sam's club? I know they sell it in something like 50lb bags.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
also see if there is a damaged goods place around.  i have been getting a good deal on broken bags that came from costco.  you just have to be careful that you are getting the weight that they say you are.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Don't feed so much.  Feed with interruptions so the bees will make use of the syrup instead of trying to store in in the brood chamber.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
...I tried to grow my own sugar cane, but I think I'm on the only real estate in Florida that won't support it. It wasn't for bees, I didn't even have any then.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Have you checked out Sam's club? I know they sell it in something like 50lb bags.

don't buy the large bags, the next time you go into Sams Club and price sugar, you pay more per pound for larger bags than you do small bags, check the price sticker and you will see the smaller bags are cheaperper pounds (in some cases I have seen it .12 a pound cheaper), look for sales ads in you local paper because there is alway a grocery store that will have something like 4# bags for $1.32 or 5# for $1.69, when I find sales I jump on them and fill a buggy or two, good luck!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Ted, no offense buddy but I think you're off on that one. I buy the 25lb bags from Sam's because they are much cheaper than the smaller bags by far.

Bulk products demand a better price always from my experience unless there is some weird sale going on.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
I second Ted's opinion.  here the smaller bags at Walmart are more cost effective than the large bags.  I think $.12 a lb also. 

Charla Hinkle

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
I second Ted's opinion.  here the smaller bags at Walmart are more cost effective than the large bags.  I think $.12 a lb also. 

Ok, now you two have me second guessing myself, will have to do a recheck!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
I buy 50# bags from a small neighborhood bakery. Think it was about .37 cents a pound.

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
The idea of buying sugar thru a bakery or bakery supply outlet is a great concept. They must be getting a real price break based on their volumes.
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
I have several nucs I purchased recently and the flow here is all but over. I planned on feeding them light syrup anyway but I've gone through 80 lbs of sugar in 10 days and I can see I will need to feed them for quite a while. Anyone have any "thrifty" ideas on purchasing sugar?
Thanks-Howard

Losing bees is expensive  :(

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Many times I find the four pound bags cheaper per pound than the ten pound bags and at Sam's many times I've found the ten pound bags cheaper than the 25 pound bags.  You just have to do the math and figure out which one is cheaper on a given day.  OCCASIONALLY I've seen the 25 pound bags cheaper, but usually not.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Last time I did sam's club it cost me 14.50 for a 25lber. 58 cents a lb. I have never seen it for much less however sav-alot chain has a crappy sugar and its 4 lbs for 1.98 48.5 cents a lb. has white stuff that gathers on the top ??? but so far bees don't seeeem to mind it.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Miss Bee Haven Bee Farm

• New Bee
Aldi's has sugar for $2.11 for 5 lbs bags
Rodney Moore
Member of NC Beeekeepers Assoc.
Member of Mecklenburg County BeeKeepers Assoc.

Offline challenger

• House Bee
Sam's is more $ than the cheapest store here-Food Lion. The prices are usually .42 per pound and the 5lb is almost always cheaper than the 10lb. I will price Walmart but it will have to be a lot cheaper for me to go there. I cannot stand that store. I know this sounds contradictory to my goal of getting sugar cheap but Walmart is in my top 5 places I do not deal with if I can help it.
Does sugar cane supply the bees with much food? I can buy this at a local vegetable stand.
Thanks-Howard
Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
In our area Walmart sells the 5lb bags for $2.44.
Its cheaper than the local grocery stores but I haven't checked out the places like Sam's. Costco or Bj's yet to see what they charge for the bulk bags.
I may do that this week just to see.

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
I want my small swarms to draw comb during the summer.  I never thought of feding with interuptions.  I'll try that. 

I've heard of buying bulk fructose or Karo Syrup leftovers or something like that.  Does anyone have experience with it?  Brushy Mtn advertises you-pick-up High Fructose Corn Syrup at 5 gallons for $22.95.  I live 1 1/2 hour away.  It might be worth it to take my truck and a bunch of 5 gallon buckets up there once a year.  Somebody who knows how to compare that to 1/1 sugar water: please do the math.  Does it replace sugar water nutritionally?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
>Ted, no offense buddy but I think you're off on that one. I buy the 25lb bags from Sam's because they are much cheaper than the smaller bags by far.

Got to go with the HOME-BOY on this one JP :shock: Maybe it's a location thing but the smaller bags are often cheaper. At least in wally world or Bi-lo. Aldi 2.19 a little high for here last time I checked.

I hit the last Bi-LO big sale 2/$3. Can't keep the Misses out of it ;)

I have tried to find a wholesale floor sweepings source. Bi-Lo gets their sugar from two main sources. I believe one in MN and a fire took the other one out in Savannah.
John 3:16

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Cheapest price per pound I've found has bees walmart.  My wife is ElCheapo and counts every penny.    I buy a bag when ever I go there all year long.  It doesn't hurt so bad when you spread it out over the year.  When they have it on sale I buy a bunch even if it will be months before I need it

anything