Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm on Ground  (Read 1142 times)

Offline William F Abell Jr

• New Bee
Swarm on Ground
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:21 pm »
Large swarm landed in a tree about 12' off the ground. I am past that stage in life where I climb ladders so I thought I would just wait. Sure enough they flew off to a sapling in my field and I went to get my gear when I got back half of them had gone to a multa flora rose bush and half were in the tall fescue underneath the sapling. I got the ones in the bush and hived them but I don't know how to get the ones in the fescue on the ground. I have tried baiting them into a box w/o success so far. If I knew for sure I had the queen in the first batch I wouldn't worry about them. Any suggestions? Thanks.   

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarm on Ground
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:39 pm »
Put your box on the ground in front of the swarm.   Let them march in.   Use lemongrass oil as bait.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Swarm on Ground
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »
I have hived many swarms off the ground in grass. As Allen advised will work but I usually just place the hive body with frames and without a bottom over the swarm. They, in short order, will just crawl up in to the box. You may need to prop it up a little.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything