Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Roads not so frequently traveled.  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Roads not so frequently traveled.
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:41:04 am »
On my trip to see my brother I couldn't help but see some very apt street and road signs.
I'm going to list those I saw and ask for others of the same ilk.

Rhode Road, Road Street, Street Road, Boulevard Avenue, Cow Trail, Deer Trail, Country Road (gravel & in the middle of the country), Primitive Road (muddy trail), Pull & Be darned Road, River Road (it was underwater), Dry Creek Road, Dry Lake Road, Gravel Road (& it was), Here to There Road, The High Road, Lowe Road, and One Way Road (Honest, that was its name).
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Roads not so frequently traveled.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:09:26 am »
I forget the name of the town but its near Gloster Ms, got a street called Busy Corner, street sign right at the intersection of two busy streets.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 11:29:48 am »
Brian, you  make some of the weirdest posts  :mrgreen: 8-) :shock: ;) :) :)

Now, you tell me, how on earth did you remember all the names of those weird road signs (well, you most likely wrote them down as you were travelling).  I found that so ding dang interesting about all the different road signs that you have noted.  I would love to hear more about weird names of roads, what a cool thread!!!  Have a most wonderfully awesome and great day, love life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:22:38 pm »

Now, you tell me, how on earth did you remember all the names of those weird road signs (well, you most likely wrote them down as you were travelling).  I found that so ding dang interesting about all the different road signs that you have noted.  I would love to hear more about weird names of roads, what a cool thread!!!  Have a most wonderfully awesome and great day, love life.  Cindi

Hey Cindi, I have a cousin that lives on a street called Apple Pie Ridge Road, its in Pearl River, La.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:03:20 pm »

My brain still has a thing for hanging onto facinating facts.  I can't abide trivia because it clutters the mind, but facinating facts are educational.

Until I had a neurological anurisum removed above my left ear I used to hear radio stations broadcasting in the 95Mhz range, I didn't mind the CW but the Grunge drove me crazy.  It was also a source of a lot of migraine headaches (the grunge stations?) but the migraines have more than dropped in half since I had it removed.  I'd get a sharp pain in the brain like being stabbed with a cold icepick and the migraines would start along with the music.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:31:52 am »
Brian, I am not kidding, you got some weird stuff going on there!!!  It is like your head was a receiver for radio stations or something, strange stuff eh?  So glad that you had that thing removed from upside of your ear!!!  Never had a migraine, but oh Brian, I bet that is pain like nothing on this earth, I am happy that they have so much diminished.  Have the most wonderful and awesome days, love life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bochekokik

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 06:10:02 am »
Hello Brian,
I stumbled upon this thread and as what Cindi mentioned you are indeed so observant.
I'll just add some items to your list

Secret Place -> Its the actual name of the place, but its not secret. Every cab driver knows the place. Most visitors worry that they may not be able to find it since its a Secret Place.

Mountain Top Road -> but the entire stretch of the road is in the valley  :-D

Abortion Road -> when you see the large potholes on this road, you won't wonder how it got its name.

Cut-off Road -> the name seems weird, but wait till you see the large portion that was cut due to landslides.

Not related to street or road names (sorry for the OT, just want to share something on Brian's list)
Senator by the name of JOKER. That is his real name.
Catholic Cardinal by the name of SIN. Its also his real name.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 10:50:18 am »
Bochekokik.  Thanks for adding the weird names too, I think that this thread could become very interesting as people add their odd observations of roads, hee, hee.  We have a couple here too.  One is called Dewdney Trunk Road and the other is called Dewdney Trunk Road.  Two different locations and many mixups made.  Most of the old timers refer to these two roads as Dewdney Trunk Road and Old Dewdney Trunk Road, but still lots of confusion as to which is which  :? :? :?  beautiful day in this great life, Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 05:42:56 pm »
I know what you mean, I have visited several places called Happy Valley but each is always at the top of a hill. 
Another appropriate name is a swamp named Hasty Lake, it is obvious that they were a little hasty calling it a lake.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 07:36:54 pm »
I live close to places such as...

Blue Ball
Virginville
Bird-in-hand
Intercourse, which of course is down the road from Paradise

:roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 09:46:12 pm »
I live near BjornBee. I have been through Intercourse (it is a very nice place). Been to Bird in Hand (kind of messy from what I remember). And I have been to Blue Ball (I did not like it there). Never been to Virginville although I hear it it a nice place to visit.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 02:36:55 am »
my ex lives off of   "feuding lane"  the original home steaders out there couldn't agree what to name the road and when the burough comissioners got three aplications for the same road with three different names they named it feuding as a joke
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:18 pm »
Took a trip down Crazy Lane the other day.  Quite inspiring the Christmas decorations were magnificient.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:40:36 pm »
I have a book named "Dirty ankle is for from bath, NC".
Some of the towns listed, and all are in NC, are cold water,bull tail, daddysville, ether, honey hill, jot-um-down, tallyho, thanksgiving, just to name a few. I live just a couple miles from frogtown, which is next to worthville.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:06 pm »
I have a book named "Dirty ankle is for from bath, NC".
Some of the towns listed, and all are in NC, are cold water,bull tail, daddysville, ether, honey hill, jot-um-down, tallyho, thanksgiving, just to name a few. I live just a couple miles from frogtown, which is next to worthville.

But see iddee, we expect that stuff from North Carolina. It's the rest of the country were surprised about....  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 11:47:27 pm »
Well, you may have intercourse and virginville, but Hwy. 62 goes thru High Point, into horneytown, then continues on to climax. A nice road to travel.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 06:33:10 pm »
Reel's Bee Supply is located, where else, on Beegum rd., just off Reel's Hollow Rd.

*Shel Silverstein*

anything