Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "K" wing and brood abortion question...  (Read 4304 times)

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
"K" wing and brood abortion question...
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:15:26 am »
Help!  :shock: Either my ladies have become radical feminists or do I have problems looming? :shock: (JK)  :-D Actually I have a question or two.  From what I've been able to learn, hygenic queens produce bees that can detect varroa in the brood and will abort them as a means of control.  I haven't seen any bees with malformed wings in the hive and a sugar shake showed a number well below the economic threshold.  They are a feral hive I got from a birdhouse, so they were a small colony of barely 4 frames.  I hived them with a SBB and haven't seen piles of dead bees around the hive, only 5-6 a day or less.  A few of them have "K" wing, but not many.  I know that if 10% of the bees have "K" wing it is usually indicitative of a trachaeal mite infestation and not varroa. Also, TM's don't infest the brood.  They just haven't built up like I think they should and the abortion rate isn't helping.  :? What does "K" wing indicate other than TM's, and what else (if anything, besides varroa) could be causing them to abort brood?   :roll:
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: "K" wing and brood abortion question...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:31:52 am »
did you have a cold snap after they started raising more brood?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:11:09 pm »
did you have a cold snap after they started raising more brood?
We've had totally freaky weather this winter--we've actually had WINTER!  We just came out of 2 solid weeks of cold (for FL).  It hasn't been this cold for this long since the 1930's.  It was even on the national news (So much for global warming!)  My other 2 hives haven't aborted any brood, though.  The other 2 have continued to produce brood--in fact, they're busting with brood in all stages. What do you think?
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:30:39 pm »
"K" wing is a sign of Paralysis Disorder. Whether  the mites play a role I don't know. :)doak

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:06:06 am »
"K" wing is a sign of Paralysis Disorder. Whether  the mites play a role I don't know. :)doak
That's a new one to me.  I guess I'll have to study up on that one... :roll:

Kelly

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:29:36 am »
"Google" Honey Bee Paralysis.
These sites and books is where I get my info to pass on. I do not decide it on my on.
I am not that knowledgeable in the Disease  of honey bees. I do know odd signs when I see them.
doak

anything