Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Niece, the chickenhill and the barnyard critters  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
My Niece, the chickenhill and the barnyard critters
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:55:17 pm »
My sweet youngest Niece has a way with the birds.  She has a squeeky little voice, a precious voice, it hits a certain pitch when she calls the birds for an afternoon treat.  She goes into the big chickenyard, climbs up the chickenhill, and begins her bird call.  The chickenhill is a wonderful place to sit, I would venture it is about 12 feet tall, and such a great view of our property, no wonder the barnyard critters love to go up there.  I watch this little wondergirl time and time again, and it makes my heart swell.  The turkeys, ducks, chickens, roosters, and chicks all come running as fast as their little legs will carry them.....some even fly, they have such a need to come there so quickly, to see what their sweet girl has brought them this time.  She carefully pulls apart the bread pieces, throws them to the wind and the critters are in their glory, they have no fear of her, they know her well.  She is still calling them, this sound I will never forget....the voice of a young child, in all her glory.  These memories of her barnyard friends will bring her wonderful feelings for the rest of her life.

She is my partner in crime around here, she is many times by my side, doing this, doing that, watching, learning, curious about every little thing she can see.  She will be going into Grade 1 this year.  Finally, she will be in a world with some girls, instead of so many little young boys.  She is a tomboy, there is not a doubt in my mind.  But with the little girls that she will make friends with in her school, she may soon turn into a girly girl.  She is so tough, she can keep up with the best of the boys around here, yeah for my cool little Niece!!!!    Enjoy these pictures.....AND.....Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: My Niece, the chickenhill and the barnyard critters
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:36:40 pm »
Cindi,
What an awesome group of photos. The ones where she is sitting amongst all the birds are priceless. What a great shot... Good for you. There is nothing better in this world that simple pleasures like that. Kudos to you for noticing them.
Good luck with that one. She is a treasure.
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:44:34 pm »
Great pics Cindi,now were in your back yard!!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:52:03 am »
I notice you've got turkeys and chickens together... as far as I can remember that's a no-no... there's some disease that chickens host that make the turkeys sick... I can't remember for sure... but I think it's called blackhead disease.  You can get medicated feed for the turkeys to combat it... although if you've kept them together for a long time without any sickness in the turkeys, you may be lucky enough to have chooks that aren't playing host to the disease.

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 07:43:43 am »
Cindi, That's an awesome story and a beautiful picture.  I posted a 25 year ol pic of my neice and a pet ferret once (she's 30 now) and she cried tears of joy. Said it reminded her of the best times of her life.  Thanks for showing.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:50:40 am »
SgtMaj,Do you read about TURKEY'S and BEEKEEPING on the web   :? ?? Great pics Cindi  :shock:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:24:02 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 05:48:53 pm »
SgtMaj,Do you read about TURKEY'S and BEEKEEPING on the web   :? ??

Jim, not turkeys... but chickens.  I spent the better part of 6 months reading up and asking questions of the good folks over at backyard-chickens about them before getting mine... and just remembered reading about that.  I guess I like to just be prepared for whatever I'm going to jump into next... but to be fair, when I came here originally, I just wanted to attract more bees to pollinate my garden, not actually keep them... so I got sucked into beekeeping rather than having come here with the intent to beekeep already.

SgtMaj

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 11:48:52 pm »
Sgtmaj,  sounds like you got bit by the bug sorta speek. :-D       Great pics cindi, now where are the ones from this weekend?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 11:35:55 pm »
Dallas,  :evil: 8-) ;) :) :) :)  All good things take time....The most beautiful wishes for wonderful days, these beautiful days, those days, these days, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service