Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleansing Question  (Read 943 times)

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
Cleansing Question
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:06:24 am »
I run a KTBH so the hive is horizontal.  When I first Hives my package I used a follower board with a hole in it to have an internal feeder but separate from the hive area.  I was wondering if you think bees would think of that as a separate area too or just part of the hive that is through a small hole?

If a hive was trapped in that kind of set up would they go through the hole to relieve themselves or do they have to fly outside for a cleansing flight?
I have read if they are trapped inside and not able to do cleansing flights it will end up all over but what if they had a separate area?

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: Cleansing Question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:17:33 am »
I have three TBH and never fed them the first bit of food. Now mind ya it was swarms I caught and not packages. They are the fastest building hives I have and I have to tend to them regular to make sure they don't swarm on me. If it would be easier to harvest honey from them I would have more but is not the case so most hives are langs. I from time to time put an empty in between the brood to settle them down. THer is a thread here that addresses TBH and you should check it out. Lots of good info.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.