Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does any one here use comcast digital Voice?  (Read 8133 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Does any one here use comcast digital Voice?
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:54:03 am »
Every time we make a out of state phone cal with our local owned phone company we receive a  bill from AT&T a month or two later with there charges on top of our locals charges for long distance. The last one amounted to 15 dollars for about five minutes of long distance. Comcast digital voiice is priced about the same as our local carrier without the added charges of a long distance carrier plus a lot of options I either do not have  available with my current service company or at extra charge.
The only drawback I can see is that since my local company has received fed dollars over the years,I can not port my current phone number that I've had for ten years over to Comcast.
Any one have experience pro  or con with Comcast digital voice?
I am in a cell vacuum where my home is or I would drop landline altogether.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
Re: Does any one here use comcast digital Voice?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:41:26 pm »
Sounds like your long distance is pic'd (Primary Interchange Code) to the wrong service. Phone companies used to be notorious for 'slamming' your long distance without your permission. If your long distance has 'always' been like this then it may have happened before the FTC made it illegal.

Call 1-700-555-4141 to find out who your local telco's computer thinks you have long distance service with. (My bet is AT&T). If you don't have a long distance plan with AT&T yet you are PIC'd to them you are going to get reamed by the very high per minute charges.

If you are PIC'd to AT&T call your telco and ask them why. Especially if your wired phone plan is supposed to include long distance service.

I've got good cell coverage at my house and while still have a land line it has no long distance on it at all. 911 service via IP phones sucks though it is getting better. Not to mention when I was going to drop my phone/dsl to switch to cable the phone co gave me a crazy good deal that I couldn't pass up.

Offline triple7sss

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:07:12 pm »
All the cable companies are offering voice now and I'm on Comcast digital voice plan.  We've had good luck with it, relatively inexpensive and trouble-free.  We're in Colorado but the technology is the same no matter the geography.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »
Had Comcast Digital Voice over 2 years Ken after 5 months of putting up with Version billing issues. I am very pleased with it, note you need to keep one phone plugged into into the phone wiring that does not need AC power to operated IF you want service during power outages - it will give you roughly 8 hours backup time. We mostly have base units with drop in handheld phones and when you lose house power, the drop in base stations go dead - so we keep one standard older push-button desk kinda phone in line too for outages.

I was one of those "I'll never go VOIP cause the technology isn't there guys," but seriously glad I did and I have not had an issue to date.

Mind you too, Comcast understands the economy and in decades of having them, when "Promotional deals are up" I simply state I need the same deal again - typically 1 year of triple play at $119 a month plus $20 for two movie channels (HBO and SHOWTIME) plus cable modem rental - $149 for 12 months, over and over again.

Considering we were paying almost $50 for a landline prior and still paying about the same for cable as we do now, the triple play made our phone bill free ( included any ways) and we pocket the $50.

So saving $600 a year to have our phone with the same number we've had since 1964 using Comcast is a awesome deal.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline dragonfly130

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:51:17 am »
Have had comcast digital voice for 4 years I believe. Almost never a problem. It's more reliable than the phone company for sure which is why I switched.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
Have comcast voice, internet and cable. and I was so reluctant to give up AT&T, but glad we did. It works great, no problems so far and have it a couple of years now. We kept our old phone number from AT&T.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 10:35:30 pm »
Vonage.  gives me international and long distance for one price. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.