Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brad nailer/stapler died  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Titus

• House Bee
Brad nailer/stapler died
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:36:32 pm »
I guess I got my $20 worth out of the Harbor Freight nailer.  It died last night after a year of use.  Never had a problem or jam, then just quit.  Started leaking air from inside, then wouldn't recock.  After checking reviews, I think I'm going to go with a Ridgid 18 ga. Stapler from Home Depot.  Cant imagine hand nailing everything after going pneumatic.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: Brad nailer/stapler died
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:27:28 pm »
  yep I'm about to buy one.... have been doing manual all this time... so my first foray in the pneumatic world!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:40:12 pm »
I bought one of the HF for $19.95 and it's doing well so far.   For $20 bucks, I can't really expect it to last for a lifetime!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 03:48:24 pm »
Yep I've bought quite a bit of stuff at HF. And at the prices, you get what you pay for. Guess I need an compressor/tank to go with the nailer.... always something to buy.... I seem to misplace tools all the time. I think I have 6 hammers in my collection now (after I found the lost ones).

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 10:48:17 pm »
If you people are still looking for a brad nailer Home Depot has a decent sale going on right now on a Porter Cable pancake compressor with three guns for $159 OTD. I bought this compressor with TWO guns last year for $179 and wasn't too happy to see the deal get better. Might be something you would be interested in. Good luck.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:49:42 am »
Thanks a good price. The local stores still show the regular price on the web... might have to pay a visit.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:16 am »
internal leaks are probably the piston O ring or diaphragm.   at 20.00 to replace you  couldn't justify buying the parts.
i wish i had a nickle for every staple my Stantech (private label Stanly) has driven.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:06:06 pm »
If you people are still looking for a brad nailer Home Depot has a decent sale going on right now on a Porter Cable pancake compressor with three guns for $159 OTD. I bought this compressor with TWO guns last year for $179 and wasn't too happy to see the deal get better.

I checked with the two HD's here in town... and they are not on sale here. The compressor/tank with the 13 piece accessory kit is on sale for $159 though.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:41:09 pm »
If you people are still looking for a brad nailer Home Depot has a decent sale going on right now on a Porter Cable pancake compressor with three guns for $159 OTD. I bought this compressor with TWO guns last year for $179 and wasn't too happy to see the deal get better.

I checked with the two HD's here in town... and they are not on sale here. The compressor/tank with the 13 piece accessory kit is on sale for $159 though.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Sorry about the bad lead. I was up in Maine this past weekend and went to the HD in Somersworth,NH and saw them on sale there. It was the same store I bought mine with 2 guns for more money so it REALLY caught my eye.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 11:27:00 am »
No problem Chopper... that would have been a good deal... I wish the HD's down here were running the same sale. Still looking to get a setup. Might have to resort to a Harbor Freight setup...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 11:39:07 am »
Harbor Freight has coupons for 20% off in Pop Mech and Pop Science and some other mags this month.

Offline Dunkel

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 07:39:29 pm »
I have really been pleased with the Bostitch products,  my nailer and stapler were about 50 or less each on ebay .  These are reconditioned units with a one year guarantee.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:36:09 am »
If you people are still looking for a brad nailer Home Depot has a decent sale going on right now on a Porter Cable pancake compressor with three guns for $159 OTD. I bought this compressor with TWO guns last year for $179 and wasn't too happy to see the deal get better. Might be something you would be interested in. Good luck.

Even if its not on sale its a good deal. I have the same set up and love it!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 02:51:13 pm »
HD is still showing the 3 gun setup for $299 which is alittle pricey for me at the moment....

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:26:40 pm »
We're going back to the HD I mentioned this weekend. If they still have that package on sale I'll snap a picture of it and you can ask your local HD to match it. Believe it or not some managers WILL match it for you especially if you threaten to take your business elsewhere.