Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who here is using the drone foundation?  (Read 18997 times)

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
Re: Who here is using the drone foundation?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 07:45:19 pm »
I have used it in the past when I had the ability to be in the hives always on time, but now my schedule is just too unpredictable.  While you can trap a lot of varroa by getting the drone combs out before the bees emerge, you can also BREED varroa like heck if you don't get the drone comb out in time.  My view is that the drone comb method is excellent for the beekeeper who has a predictable schedule.  I am gearing up to shift my hives over to small cell.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »
I used it this year, and was pretty happy with the results.  I didn't have to put foundation in every frame.  Like the other post mentions, an empty foundationess frame will often result in nice clean drone comb being built if put in at the right time and the right place.  I use powdered sugar on occasion if needed.

I know a lot have posted against the use of drone comb removal (here and on 'the other' site) but I'm happy and it works for me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:33:27 am by 1of6 »

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 10:34:50 pm »
>I know a lot have posted against the use of drone comb removal (here and on 'the other' site) but I'm happy and it works for me.

I'm not against it if you need it.  I haven't needed it.  It is a costly (in resources) method.  But a clean one.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 07:16:35 pm »
I use natural cell and SBB . No drone comb .