Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Done in the garden today  (Read 3719 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Done in the garden today
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:34:13 am »
It's just too hot out there.  The sun is like a heat ray.  I went out there at 7 am, the bed I wanted to work on was in the shade still, I finally planted my squash and carrots.  I still haven't planted my corn and beans, that'll have to wait til either later on this evening or Tuesday morning early.  I'm so far behind this year what with building the coop, getting the chickens, and moving the garden from the front yard to the back.  I need 40 hour days!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Done in the garden today
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 11:45:30 am »
Our stuff isnt' planted for different reasons, it's just too cold & rainy for corn or beans yet, they won't start or do well in cool soil, no matter how early you plant.  Too wet & miserable to work on chix house either. :-x  I'm sure the girls are tired of being shoved into a plastic box & toted to the temp pen then back to the main barn AM & PM + they are getting HEAVY!!  Hope you get caught up soon!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:25:09 pm »
Ann, Jody, oh Mother Nature.  Ann, you are scorching, I know you don't like the heat, Jody, you are as we are, rain and cold.  We had a beautiful day yesterday and today blue skies and the sun be shinin'.  It was outside all day, and today I will be outside soon, after I vacuum my house, ich!!!!  I have to vacuum, the bedroom renos are on the last legs and everything is too filthy not too, whah, whah, whah....That will take about an hour at least, hee, hee, then......the garden.

Yesterday I planted some annuals in the gardens around my pool, red and white tuberous begonias in the gargoyle garden by the pool, did some weeding up at the apiary, worked and worked, my Daughter has now brought the mare home.  Eeeks.....horses....again....now there is talk about another one we need to keep her company.....that will be in another thread.

Today I am heading out to plant my beans, yeah!!!!  I plant Blue Lake pole, I like the prolonged picking season, planting the supersweet corn (sh2), and then the beets, carrots, etc., etc.  Hopefully the sun today will warm the soil fast enough and enough, plain and simple for the beans and corn to get some serious germination going on.  It is 2 weeks later than when I usually plant corn and beans, but has been too dang cold for any sort of germination to occur as such.  The 80 or so broccoli plants set out about 10 days ago are going well, slow, but they will pick up too.  Off to a fun day in the sun, sun, sun , temperatures will reach about 25 celsius, (77 fareinheit) no higher, that is our average lovely summertime temp.  I wish Ann, that I could cool down your weather a bit.  This 77 F is a really nice summer day temperature, it is always very comfortable.  Have that most beautiful and great day, this is a a life we all love and it is so worth making that great day be.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 01:08:05 pm »
Cindi, I hate doing housework cause I can't see the results for more than a couple of minutes.  :-x  Outside I can see what I have accomplished for at least a few days! :-D  I've only seen 1 person w/corn in yet, & you can barely see the green!  Our blackberries are still tight buds, salmon berries are finally out & thimbles are just now flowering. I have many things to plant, may just heel em in a spot for now.  Working on trimming the Rhodys, they are all twisted & going all the way to the ground.  I want to plant smaller flowering stuff under.  Off to play outside too!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:32:41 am »
Jody, I think our climates are nearly identical.  I haven't noticed thimbleberries yet, but yesterday I saw a few robins with salmonberries hanging out their mouths, heading off to feed their babies.  Ever ate a thimbleberry?  Yich, I think they taste awful, and always when eating salmonberries, look inside for the worm, I hate that when I know I have munched on a worm with the berry, and salmonberries are nortorious for that some kind of worm.  Now....dare my Husband to eat that salmonberry with the hidden worm, easy, he will dare to eat anything that is put infront of his great big mouth!!!  Have that most sweet and wonderful day, this is a life to love livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »
 Cindi I always look for the worm...ick!  The thimbles don't have berries yet, just the flowers.  They are sorta dry huh?  Your husband would be fun to dare.. :evil: :evil:  Mine is too suspicious of me...as are my daughters..Chels wouldn't even smell my glove yesterday after doing the hives.  Propolis, nectar, wax smelled sooooo sweet!  Finally after I had smelled a dozen times she did..the smile that came to her face was priceless.  Yes, it's a beautiful day!  Jody

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 11:07:48 am »
Thimbles are ucky, never found a use for them or bothered, like you said, far too dry.  I know, I know, everyone around here is very leary of anything I get them to look at or get a whiff of, but they do, it sounds like you are more of a tease than I am, I can be a little on the teasy side, hee, hee.  I like to gross the kids out with the weird eggs, and the so on, there are so many strange things done in that midnight sun......yes, havin' that beautiful day, and wishes of this to all of my forum friends.  Cindi

anything