Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Advice please - keeping a captured swarm in the new hive?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Damian

• Brood
Advice please - keeping a captured swarm in the new hive?
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:57:23 pm »
hi, I live in Barbados and am new to Beekeeping, 9 months.  I have two strong hives.  However, i have twice put a new captured swarm, with young queen, into a third hive, but each time I find that they have gone after a couple of days.  Any advice pse? D

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
Re: Advice please - keeping a captured swarm in the new hive?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »
Catch the queen in a queen catcher and place her inside this hive for a couple days until they get all cozy in there and then let her out.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:32:26 pm »
But a Queen excluder on the bottom of the box for a few days, this lets her have cells to start laying then she is is in her home !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:36:21 pm »
Pull a frame of open brood from one of your strong hives and give it to the swarm.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Damian

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 08:42:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice, all makes sense.  Will try next time.  D

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:50:46 pm »
Hi, I normally do both. Most times I ma not sure whether or not i actually got the queen so I use the queen excluder on the bottom board and put in a frame of brood. I figure that if there is no queen then they have a start. If the queen is there then there is still no harm done

anything