Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen up top...  (Read 2801 times)

Offline bonsai

• New Bee
Queen up top...
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:14:00 pm »
First year at this. I have a package I hived back in late May, has been doing  real well, have one large brood box they filled in about July, added a medium box and a second medium box in late August.

So I go back in today to kind of see where they are at because I'd like to harvest a bit this year if possible.  Open the top medium box and pull number 5 frame and there's Queenie in all her fuschia-dotted wonder....

So I go back through all the boxes... top box seems to be capped brood and honey around the edges; at about 50-60% capacity.   Middle box is about the same but I start seeing pollen and capped brood that is really protruding.  The chambers are pretty dark and some are empty.  Also seem to be some that are "hanging".  I'll try and post a pic.   Also, they never finished off this middle box of frames- far ends are a bit sparse- so this is at about 80%. 

Took a quick peak in the brood box (quick since at this point they are REALLY angry) and more of the same- empty chambers, scattered  pollen and brood, honey on the end frames as I think it should be. 

They apear to be doing real well numbers and activity-wise. 

As I recall the bottom and middle frames seemed to have a whole lot more capped honey when I added the third box. 

My average date for first frost is typically mid to late November. So what should I be doing to carry these guys into winter?

Offline bonsai

• New Bee
Re: Queen up top...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 07:27:15 pm »
Here's the protruding cells. 

Offline bonsai

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:12:07 pm »
So are these queen cells?

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:55:09 pm »
bonsai,

Without knowing where in the world you are no one can give much specific help.  Please update your profile to include where your bees are located.
Make Mead!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:07:10 am »
Hey, do you reckon bonsai trees would get really tiny little swarms in them?

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:15:09 am »
From what you say the top box id half filled with honey and a queen so i assume there is some brood in it.
The middle box is also half filled with honey but with brood too (drone looking stuff)
and the bottom Deep box has a brood nest that is reducing.
-Doesn't really sound unusual for this time of year.  Queen will lay less as brood nests contract.  Brood pattern will get spotty. Honey being placed above the brood nest.  Feeding them may get those top boxes filled in time.  Drones may be an issue or not depending where you are.  DID you see any eggs or worker sized capped cells?

The hanging cells look like open queen cups.  
-Not a problem if there is no brood in them.  

Expect to see more honey being stores in the top boxes.  Keep an eye on what kind of bees the queen is making.  

Have you Winterized the hive yet?

Oh, you just added your location...
Like i siad, location matters!  Aren't you going into Spring?

Make Mead!

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:29:32 am »
Wait, you got this package when? in May.  Your bees did good coming through an Aussie Winter.  They'll start brooding up now.  Drones are fine but there better be more worker brood than drone brood. 

Is there a big flow right now?  If so, great, leave them be.  If you're in a dearth instead you could help the bees with some syrup.

Keep a Close eye on the queen cups.  Your bees may have plans to swarm this Spring.  Look into making 'Splits' before your bees do it for you.
Make Mead!

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 12:33:06 am »
Hey, do you reckon bonsai trees would get really tiny little swarms in them?

Ha ha!  Not so much.  They'll either pick a tree limb you can't reach or your neighbors mail box to get you in trouble.  BUT... put out some swarm traps and increase your apiary this year.
Make Mead!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:47:21 am »
Sorry to confuse you Hemlock, I'm in Aus. but the OP is still hopelessly lost.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 12:59:43 am »
You didn't confuse me.  I confused me. :-D

I know so many people that are 'Hopelessly Lost', including myself, it should get it's own Zip Code...

The op can pick which ever one he likes.
Make Mead!

Offline bonsai

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 12:19:32 am »
I'm outside Houston TX... heading into late summer/early fall weather.  Profile updated...

anything