Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lucky Catch  (Read 3986 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Lucky Catch
« on: May 18, 2013, 10:05:02 am »
Got very lucky catching this swarm as they took off on me when I went too scoop the first handfull of them. They milled around about a 100 yards away for a few minutes then came back and dog piled into the hive. Never had one leave and come back before. Going to go buy Lotto ticket.  :lau:

Forgot how to imbed a Youtube, here is the video link: Lucky Catch Video

Don

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Lucky Catch
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »
lucky you.  lost one this year because they took off on my.  a couple of years ago i ended up chasing one through a bunch of backyards.  had to keep knocking on doors to get permission to go after the thing.  it was huge, so it was worth it.   :-D

go buy your ticket, but will you share??   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 04:37:16 pm »
Looks like a big un D! The last swarms I caught are building up fast and love those swarms!!! :-D
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 11:23:59 pm »
Thanks for sharing.... Wish we could have seen the look on your face when they took off though... :evil: 
Just joking : great video
Marshall

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
Thanks for the video. Did you actually have any bees when they took off?
facebook.com/laredobees

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 03:18:18 pm »
If you got a few in the hive before they took off, most likely you got the queen with that bunch. they will come back if the queen is not with them.  :) d2

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:11:43 am »
Lucky dog!  Must have been heart breaking to have them take off on you.  Knock on wood I haven't had that happen to me... yet.  How long did it take for them to finally all move in?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:01:35 pm »
Kathy - I would of shared all my lotto winnings with you  :angel: , but I guess I used up my luck.

Blanc - I'm a full fledged swarm addict too, I think early primary swarms are worth 60 lbs. of honey.

Plan-B - I've had them take off before, but I imagine the look on my face when they returned was the one of shock.

NotactJack - I didn't get any bees scooped in, but a few may have walked into the top of the hive when I set it up. (great handle by the way)

don2 - could be about the queen, I sure didn't see her though, but that's not unusual for me I am the world's worst queen spotter.

Drew - I bet 90% were in the box within 5 minutes, they just piled in. P.S. This is the nice swarm I tried to give you in Oak Grove on Saturday:  :lau:

Thanks for the replies all.

Don

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:21 am »
Don,

Thanks anyway, I would have gotten them if I could have.  My son was in Baseball Tournament, my schedule was fluid and depended on whether they won or lost and how the other teams did.  My wife was locked up with my daughters soccer play offs.  Oak Grove was just over the cusp of being too far for me to get there and back between games.  Ironically, I had a swarm call that night 3 miles away from my home.  I got up at 6 and got them but they weren't amused as they had been rained on all night and a storm was rolling in.  I then had to pass on another one on Sunday as the tournament was finishing up, they left shortly after I was called anyway.  I HATE passing up swarms, but I'm honestly happy for others who do get them.  Congrats!
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...