Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: End of Summer Swarm? and ....a dead queen?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
End of Summer Swarm? and ....a dead queen?
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:10:34 am »
Hi all,

I was outside yesterday when i noticed a small swarm hanging in my lemon balm bush/tree. So i collected it in a nuc. That part all went fine.

Later i checked the nuc as quite a few bees had returned to the clustering spot.

I found the queen (dead) had been balled in the nuc, in fact the bees were still balled around her.

I have some questions.

Firstly seems strange that they are swarming this time of the year, they have plenty of room, but they are all incredibly strong hives. do we think this is normal? I have identified the hive they came from and been through all of my hives and there are no (more) queen cells.

Secondly why would they kill their queen, so soon after swarming, with no eggs they are surly destined to perish?

Half are now still in the box, about half again are hanging on the cluster spot and the rest have gone back to the mother hive.

what to do.... what to do?

Suggestions?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:37:22 am by the-ecohouse.com »

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: End of Summer Swarm? and ....a dead queen?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:29:21 am »
Hi Eco,
Don't know where your photos went, only 3 are visible to me, but your vegie garden looks great.
Sorry, don't know what's up with your bees either.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:38:24 am »
Hey Bernsad

weird? they all seem to be showing up on my screen?

yeah the garden prob needs a tidy up...its a bit out of control right now...too busy with the bees lol:_)

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:20:10 am »
lol garden needs work

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:36:25 pm »
G'day Eco,

A friend of mine had a similar interesting situation a few weeks ago - shaking some frames during an inspection the queen was shaken off and took flight - bees followed her and balled her... haven't got a clue why.

In the hive they swarmed from was there any queen cells?

Could it have been a virgin queen returning who got lost and went in to the wrong hive? realised her mistake and tried to fly off but the bees followed her?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:09:05 am »
Finally got all the photos to display, I don't know whether it's got something to do with my download speed or an interrupted data stream, who knows.

It looks like a Lemon Verbena that they have landed in. The crushed leaves smell fantastic.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 04:24:53 am »
the remnants are still hanging about...

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:00:51 pm »
Half are now still in the box, about half again are hanging on the cluster spot and the rest have gone back to the mother hive.

what to do.... what to do?

Suggestions?

I have no explanations as to what happened but id unite those bees outside into a different hive (newspaper) preferably in one on a different site, i find sometimes you can do your head in trying to figure out why, dont forget they are girls!

anything