Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Forced Supersedure  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
Forced Supersedure
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:20:57 pm »
Hi,

I came across this and was wondering what opinions the good folks at beemaster might have.  I was wondering what the difference might be, if any, of just simply removing the queen.  I suppose the time of year might make a difference ( spring/late summer)?

"Supersedure may be forced by a beekeeper. By simply clipping off one of the middle or posterior legs from the resident queen she will be unable to properly place her eggs at the bottom of the brood cell. The workers will detect this and will then rear replacement queens. When a new queen is available the workers will kill the reigning queen. The workers form a warming ball around the queen and so kill her by overheating - this is called by beekeepers "balling the queen", and can be a problem when introducing a new queen to a hive. This overheating method is also used to kill large predatory wasps (e.g. the Asian giant hornet) that enter the hive in search of brood. Forced supersedure should only be done when drones are available to inseminate the new queen. The emerging virgin queen may not survive one of her several nuptual flights which may result in a queenless hive. Monitoring for a laying queen is recommended when forcing a queen supersedure."

FROM
http://www.hwbka.co.uk/Types%20of%20Bees/Types%20of%20Bees/Queen.html

Cheers,
Patrick

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Forced Supersedure
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:50:21 pm »
Sounds like a cruel way to "off your queen".  Probably just better to wack her and save the workers the trouble!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:40:36 pm »
I think the concept is that you don't have to be queenless while they are doing the replacing, thus avoiding a 28 day lag in brood production.  However, I've seen many a lame queen lay for a couple of years without being replaced.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:43:11 pm »
Here are a couple other opinions on supercedure queens.  Anytime your force them to make a queen, you deal with probability of proper/ideal resources.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20086.msg153226.html#msg153226
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison