Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splitting a Hive?  (Read 2432 times)

Offline keito

• New Bee
Splitting a Hive?
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:22:23 pm »
When splitting a hive how many frames of brood and honey is an acceptable minimum?

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
Re: Splitting a Hive?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »
I would not split less than what is recommended for creating a strong nuc which is usually 2-3 frames brood, 1 frame pollen and 1 frame honey.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:43:17 pm »
Lots of factors here that will vary the answer. Will you be giving the split a queen or will they have to raise one? Are you going to shake some extra bees in? Do you live in an area with hive beetles?

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:52 pm »
And just how much do you plan on feeding?  And the time of the year for the split?   

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:29 pm »
In my area, you can get away with a split with 2 deep frames of brood, however 3 frames of brood will build up much faster.  As Dean0 says, give them some food too.   Adding a mated queen will result a quicker buildup too.  In the deep south with your summer dearth and SHB, you probably have some special challenges with splits that we don’t have to worry about as much up here.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:23:58 am »
Depends on the purpose of the split.  If you are just removing the queen to induce a temporary brood break, it could be done with one frame.  If you just want a queen castle to raise a new queen, it could be two frames.  If you want a June nuc that will grow to survive the winter, probably 5 frames.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:43:47 am »
I would not split less than what is recommended for creating a strong nuc which is usually 2-3 frames brood, 1 frame pollen and 1 frame honey.

that will be a good hive. The whole langstroth box.
On another hand it weakens productive hive if you take all frames from one hive.

I use to startslowly. First one brood frame with 3 frame nuc. When queen lays it full, I give second frame of emerging brood. Then nuc is 5-6 frames.
After 3 weeks nuc start to get own bees.in mating nuc it takes 4-5 weeks that  own bees start emerge.

After yield season i can take a whole box and put a new queen to lay.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:56:09 am »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline keito

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 08:24:04 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin