Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top entrance done right  (Read 4393 times)

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Top entrance done right
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:34:56 am »
My own design. Just a simple box with landing pad (pitched for water)spacing in the opening for entrance ruducing bar to fit and space enough on top for the covers. Also made a couple of entrance reducers in different sizes.

Offline purvisgs

• New Bee
Re: Top entrance done right
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 02:32:56 am »
not sure about your plan... do you have an inner cover underneath it somehow>? or frames that fit in this top box? I would expect bees to build comb in the empty space between the top of frames in box below and the outer cover that you place over this box.  they much prefer empty space over the frames we give them

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:08:57 am »
Yeah, inner cover under it, tele. cover on top. I'll post action pics later.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:17:25 am »
It's hard to tell from the pic, but the opening looks to be about an inch tall.  If so, that's much taller than I would have made it.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:22:38 pm »
It's hard to tell from the pic, but the opening looks to be about an inch tall.  If so, that's much taller than I would have made it.

It's exactly the same size as an bottom board entrance reducer that way I can interchange them in various size openings with the bars i already have.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:11:40 am »

It's exactly the same size as an bottom board entrance reducer that way I can interchange them in various size openings with the bars i already have.

Much easier to just use the solid bottom board like a migratory top and the reducer is still usable--works for me.  I'd like to see your burr comb situation about a month or so after installation.  Good, innovative, design, just a tad over done.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 07:30:18 am »
>Good, innovative, design, just a tad over done.

Agreed.  Keep it simple.  Actually a board the size of the hive will work fine and then just push it back until you have a 1/4" gap at the front.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 03:17:56 am »
Agreed.  Keep it simple.  Actually a board the size of the hive will work fine and then just push it back until you have a 1/4" gap at the front.  :)

That is far too little work to be so useful.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 02:36:40 pm »
>That is far too little work to be so useful.

That's what most of my five frame nucs have for an entrance now.  It works remarkably well.  I'm sure some water rains in, but it just runs down the wall.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »
How about a board the size of the hive with door framing shims as spacersbetween the top and the hive underneath. That is what I am currently using and it works great and doesn't let in as much water. Actually I learned this here on the forum or from Michael Bush's or Brian Bray's web site.
Alfred

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 09:46:31 am »
-------------------

anything