Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Our jungle  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Our jungle
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:01:03 am »
This is a picture of the garden that my sister created out of just a hunk of earth where I used to have one of my greenhouses set up with I ran my small nursery.   The part of land had never been worked until last summer, it always had a plastic greenhouse with slatted benches on it that I used for display of retail plants.

She worked a work and a wonder in there, implementing new soil and turkey manure.  I never could have realized how this soil amendment/fertilizer would bring soil that was dead back to life.  It surpasses compost and horse manure very strongly.

I had grown some stuff in that part the prior year after the greeenhouse came down, but nothing could come even close to what my sister accomplished. 

In her greenhouse up at the top, she grew tomatoes that produced hundreds of pounds, well into the end of October, when the killing frost finally ended all for good.  She grew basil and peppers of all sorts in there too.  It was a crop of unimaginable variety and yields.

We have so many gardens, be them vegetable and flower that have reaped the rewards of amending the soil with the turkey manure last year.  I had always used horse manure and compost, but my eyes were opened when we brought in turkey.  So, turkey it shall be.  We had a dump truck of this manure brought in last fall and it is continuing to compost, soon we will be spreading this black magic.

Enjoy the picture, have a great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Re: Our jungle
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 11:03:18 am »
 :shock:

Awesome thats nothing compared to my wimpy garden I'm not even gonna post pictures of mine. Any ways I prefer ornamental plants not so much the vegetables...
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 11:44:46 am »
Wow what a wonderful looking garden you must love it up there
Kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:51:35 pm »
Gorgeous, Cindi, I love a nice lush veggie garden like that!  :lol:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 11:35:49 pm »
We are in the rainforest of British Columbia, warm, lots of rain and lots of sunshine.  Brings on the jungle look of stuff.  Great day. Glad you liked the pic.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 12:05:49 am »
Great garden! Reminds me of some I've seen in Victoria - lush!  I'm sure the bees love it up there, eh?  BTW, those onions look about ready to harvest  ;)
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/