Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Upper entrance bees keep sealing shut ?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Upper entrance bees keep sealing shut ?
« on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:50 am »
My upper entrance on one hive, the bees continually seal off the past couple of weeks, night time temp. lows have been in the high 50;s low 60's, days 70's & 80's.
Opening is 3/8 by 1 1/2 in.

I dig it open with my pocket knife every couple of days.
These are new hive box's, so no bad air leaks.
Other hive has never been sealed off.

I use photo bucket can't figure out pic. posting on this forum, or I'd send a pic.

Thanks

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Upper entrance bees keep sealing shut ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:33:55 am »
Bee-Bop, I wonder if the bees have sealed off MOST of the entrance and left only a bee space, but you think it is totally sealed off????.  That would be OK, there could still be some room for condensation to escape.  Once the bees cluster, that space could be left more open by your removing the propolis with your knife.  The bees know best. Perhaps the colony is a smaller size and they feel that they MUST seal off most of the airway?  You will hear more comments, but these are my thoughts, great day in this beautiful life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Upper entrance bees keep sealing shut ?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:23:16 pm »
I'd let them do what they want.  If you get some deep snow, you might want to open it up enough that one bee can ge out so they can fly on a warm day.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin