Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Holland, MI Queen Rearing Course  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Holland, MI Queen Rearing Course
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:57:42 pm »
Holland Area Beekeepers is sponsoring a queen rearing course by Dr. Larry Connor.  The Southeast Michigan Beekeepers association is sponsoring the same course on the East side of MI somewhere.

The course was created as a way to develop local queens by and for local beekeepers.  The course will be fairly intensive, hands-on training in queen rearing with the clear objective of each student’s becoming competent in the basics of raising queens and mating them in mating nucs.  Students are expected to participate in all sessions or to provide a substitute if necessary.
The course follows the seasonal buildup and starts in late may and runs into late June, and concentrates on both traditional and new techniques.  The course runs 24 hours in 6 sessions.  A certificate of completion will be given to those students who successfully produce, in the opinion of the instructor, well-reared queens that lay a normal worker brood pattern.  The course will be held only if we have 20 students.

Dates and times:
Friday, May 16, 4-8 pm   Session 1: Standard Queen Handling and Evaluation Skills
Friday, May 23, 4-8 pm   Session 2: Queen Cell Starting – Traditional and Non-traditional

Saturday, May 24, 10am-12   Session 3: Queen Cell Finishing and Drone Production
Monday, June 2, 4-8pm   Session 4: Queen Cell Caging, Nucleus production and Celling Nucs
Saturday, June 21, 9am – 1   Session 5: New Queen Evaluation, Nuc Evaluation
Saturday, June 21, 2-5pm   Session 6: Bee Breeding and Selection Techniques

Registration fee is $150 to cover the cost of bees, equipment, materials, and instructor.  20 people need to be signed up for the class to proceed, checks won’t be cashed until the course is full.

To register, drop me a PM and I will give you the phone number and email to contact. (I wasn’t authorized to publish this on the web so didn’t want to publish that)
Rick

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
Re: Holland, MI Queen Rearing Course
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 04:54:23 am »
[The course runs 24 hours in 6 sessions.]

Thats a good amount of time and days for the money!

However, it is a 2½-3 hour drive and that times 6 days = 30 hours on the road.
That's not even considering $40 in gas.

Sorry, but I don't think that will work for me.  :-\

I hope you are able to find a bunch of locals to fill your class and make it good experience.

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:06:28 pm »
I already registered. Looking forward to it.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:04:50 am »
The gas prices have dampened my travel.  I got my bees from Don Lam that is holding the class at his place.  Dr Connor is just a great teacher and speaker. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:31:01 pm »
>Dr Connor is just a great teacher and speaker.

I'll second that.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything