Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slide Out Brood Chamber  (Read 7569 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Slide Out Brood Chamber
« on: April 05, 2007, 10:26:52 pm »
Anyone ever see any of these?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:51:31 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Slide Out Brood Chamber
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:22:52 am »
Ihave never seen one ,but at that price I'll take a bunch!! :-D

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:50:30 am »
Does it come in mediums?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 11:07:06 am »
It only came in deeps.   I stumbled across it in the 1964 Root catalog.  I never seen or heard of it,  so was just wondering if anyone has.  Obviously it didn't work to well since it didn't seem to last too long on the market.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:13:34 am »
It is nice to know that stuff like that is out there.
I was talking with my wife the other day about a side open door on the hives.
I wasn't sure if one had been invented before or not.
I had mentioned to her how Michael(Bush) and Brian(D Bray) like the eight frame hives.
Iwas thinking of using that as my template. the reason I figure for Brian it would be much easier to inspect the hives that way. No having to lift hive boxes for an inspection. Michael wouldn't have the back pain issues either.

So I started a CAD drawing. I haven't finished it yet. And I don't like submitting drawings without a real world try of the device. My design is slightly different than the image. I thought about the slide out tray but I figured propolis and burr comb could jam it up.

So I went with a slide rod design. The frames would have sleeves that let them slip over the rod. So if burr comb was issue you were only dealing with it on a frame by frame basis. It is much easier to break burr comb on a frame then all ten frames at once.

The issue I am confronting in my design is I want to make sure the rods can hold 6lbs/2.7 KG(approx weight of a medium loaded frame with bees on it) when the side cover is off without bending or bowing. Having a rod support the weight while the side cover was on is no problem but when you remove the cover you don't need the rods to bow down. The other thing is I don't want the rods to be any larger than they have to.

So I am thinking of doing a T design on one side that would give it reinforcement. However I am probably going to change it 6 more times beore I settle on something.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 12:12:53 pm »
Here is another no-lift design.   I have seen pictures of such a device before, but never in person.  I guess the advantage to this is that it works with standard equipment so no need to replace all your supers.  I guess the disadvantage is that it does take time to set up at each hive, but then again,  if you can't lift I assume you won't be going thru 100s of hives a day anyway.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:58:13 pm »
It's hard to tell what keeps that from falling over...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 03:10:18 pm »
It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to me like there are two support legs in a v-shape that go to the ground under the suspended supers.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 06:57:43 am »
Hmm,
A little paint,duct tape,filing cabinet........,Red Green, help me out.Maybe an outboard engine and prop for hive ventilation! :-D
Actually it's interesting to see ideas to overcome a particular problem.Maybe something like a small slide out screen between the supers or a groove to push a slicer through t cut the burr comb before sliding the frames out.

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 09:06:15 am »
It is nice to know that stuff like that is out there.

So I started a CAD drawing. I haven't finished it yet. And I don't like submitting drawings without a real world try of the device. My design is slightly different than the image. I thought about the slide out tray but I figured propolis and burr comb could jam it up.

So I went with a slide rod design. The frames would have sleeves that let them slip over the rod. So if burr comb was issue you were only dealing with it on a frame by frame basis. It is much easier to break burr comb on a frame then all ten frames at once.

The issue I am confronting in my design is I want to make sure the rods can hold 6lbs/2.7 KG(approx weight of a medium loaded frame with bees on it) when the side cover is off without bending or bowing. Having a rod support the weight while the side cover was on is no problem but when you remove the cover you don't need the rods to bow down. The other thing is I don't want the rods to be any larger than they have to.

So I am thinking of doing a T design on one side that would give it reinforcement. However I am probably going to change it 6 more times beore I settle on something.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
Would be interested in seeing your design, looks like from picture that the premise of it all was the frame rests were reinforced and built like drawer slides, the only drawback I see with picture model is removal of side piece to make them where they will slide through. But otherwise a good idea. Building a few supers now might try to incorporate one with some heavy duty drawer slides. Can't hurt to try something new that is old, like they say " nothing new in the universe". :-X :-\

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 01:13:37 pm »
Brendhan, your endeavour will be cool and wonder if ya can get it designed and trialed.  Good for you.  Have a wonderful day with good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 10:48:07 pm »
Brendhan,

Try the idea of shaving the top and end bars and using 1/4 inch aluminum U shaped (channel) wings on the bars.  The grooves could then be supported by metal rods positioned on each side of each frame.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 01:09:44 pm »
Brendhan,

Try the idea of shaving the top and end bars and using 1/4 inch aluminum U shaped (channel) wings on the bars.  The grooves could then be supported by metal rods positioned on each side of each frame.
Already had planned on end tabs. However I want a way to be able to handle the frame from the sides without risk of slipping or dropping. I have planned on changing the the tab design slightly. I will be up in Atlanta next week. I should be able to complete the design on paper by then and then I will do the first CAD prototype. After that I will build my first one. Then I will find what I like about it and what I don't. I will go back and change the CAD and build the next one or correct the first one if they are minor.

I have a few strict ideas in my head I want to keep as a standard.
1. The box must be have the same perimeter so it will fit with other 8 frame mediums and still work.
2. It must use simple parts. You should be able to pick up and build one of these with items readily avaliable from a hardware store. If something breaks it should be easily repairable.
3. It can't cost a fortune.
4. While the design may be a bit more elaborate it must be simple to assemble.
5. While the frames may not work from a side open hive into a standard hive. I want to be able to convert standard frame to a side frame with a minimal amount of effort.

I have a few more not so strict desires that may change as it goes along.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 11:59:06 pm »
Brendhan, work hard, keep up updated, sounds great.  Best of the day, good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 05:01:54 am »
Hey,
There were some pictures on here a while back of Slovak hives that had the same concept of slide out frames.  I liked the idea, and cached the images.  Can't remember the name that posted them...really neat though.  That way a whole wall of hives could be placed in a building.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 09:51:13 pm »
So what happened to the design? Any good, any bad?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:33 pm »
Somewhat not so interesting story.

I designed one and started testing it out. The problem was that in order to maintain the same dimensions and maintain the load bearing capabilities. It wouldn't work. I either had to alter the dimensions or the structure. The design that was originally posted was like a slide out drawer. I tried one. Everything and it's brother would cause it to jam. After doing one or two more alterations that did not succeed for one reason or another to my exacting standards I let it die. It rattles in the back of my mind every now and then. And once in a while inspiration hits me. Then I realize God has a sense of humor and likes to laugh at me and my antics. I may have to enter into a pact with Satan to come up with one that meets my picky standards but in the meantime I just let in burn in the in back of my mind.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Balhanapi

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 01:31:11 pm »
Hi everybody,

They have something like this for sale on ebay - search beekeeping it comes up for sale for $95. sorry I can't post a url here.
Thanks
Never stop learning.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 01:48:00 pm »
And a big Hello to you.   :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 01:49:54 pm »
Hi everybody,

They have something like this for sale on ebay - search beekeeping it comes up for sale for $95. sorry I can't post a url here.
Thanks

Yes, that is what bought this thread back to life.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,19270.0.html

Welcome to the forum.  Please introduce yourself in the greetings forum  and update your profile with your location when you get a chance. :-D