Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Tool  (Read 15444 times)

Offline Dan Williamson

• New Bee
Re: Hive Tool
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 12:22:27 pm »
These maxant tools are what I use 95% of the time.  Occasionally I'll use the standard tool but I mostly use the "hook" end tool.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 01:21:38 pm »
I got my free hive tool from Brushy Mountain in my last order.
They are giving them away,one per customer when you place your order throughout the year.
Code # FHT or put free hive tool in the customer comment box on your order form.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 01:27:27 pm »
Free! Now were in my price range..... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 01:58:22 am »
I use the J Hook one, too.  Back when I was using the old style, I was killing too many bees by trying to pry the frame out.

Why is the Italian one that Brushy Mtn sells better?

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 02:15:25 pm »
I use the J Hook one, too.  Back when I was using the old style, I was killing too many bees by trying to pry the frame out.

Why is the Italian one that Brushy Mtn sells better?
I have the Italian one that Brushy sells and only use it if I can't find my lower priced ones. I actually like the one that they're giving away over the long yellow one. I find that I damage my supers trying to break them apart with a dull hive tool. The stout ones made by Dadant and Brushy aren't sharp enough for my liking but they do work well for pulling frames once the supers are broken apart.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline DM

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 08:21:07 pm »
I use the giant hive tool from BetterBee. Made of Stainless steel and is easy to clean. The J hook works well breaking the frames loose and not damaging them.

Dennis

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 11:59:46 pm »
>The stout ones made by Dadant and Brushy aren't sharp enough for my liking

That's what grindstones were made for...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 08:00:51 am »
>The stout ones made by Dadant and Brushy aren't sharp enough for my liking

That's what grindstones were made for...

I shouldn't have to do anything to a brand new tool after I just paid more for it than the ones that don't need to be sharpened.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 11:44:07 pm »
They are dull on purpose.  That's so you can pry the box or frame apart without it cutting into the wood.  But if you WANT it sharp, that can be remedied.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 09:35:07 am »
I didn't realize they were sold that way on purpose. I've got a couple cheap ones that are nice and sharp. I prefer them because the sharpness makes it easier for me to break the supers apart with less damage to the wood.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 10:46:01 pm »
Greg,

Get the giant hive tool from Betterbee,  you won't be disappointed.  I think you could almost shave with the thing.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 10:59:51 am »
Greg,

Get the giant hive tool from Betterbee,  you won't be disappointed.  I think you could almost shave with the thing.
We got the new catalog a few weeks ago. I'll look it up and buy it next time we put a order in with them. Thanks. ;)

Offline MAXANT

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 07:59:05 pm »
Just to let you all know, there imports out there from other "big" companies. We have had several people call us claiming they broke or bent their Maxant hive tool. Upon sending them back to us we find 99.9% they are imports/fakes/knock offs.

Offline asciibaron

• House Bee
    • The Elvaton Apiary
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 02:15:52 pm »
i lost my J tool this winter - my only gripe with the J end is trying to wedge it in between hive bodies - if i have to smack it with my hand to get it under the body, it usually hurts my hand.  other than that, i love it.  a big flat head screwdriver is no replacement - ordering a replacement today.  which means i'll find the missing one tonight.

-steve

Offline BarneyG

• New Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 04:05:35 am »
i think glorey bee ineugene oregon was having a sale for the month of march ,for the  hive tool that oldenglish posted cost was i think on sale $1.95 each    Barney
Barney

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 10:20:22 pm »
I agree with Asciibaron;

The J hook end ain't worth a darn if you have to smack it with your palm to break open box's !

I carry a regular tool just for that, and use the J hook tool to pop the frames up
and for working in the hive!

Poking around trying to get the blade in between box's chews up the wood, a good smack with the palm drives the tool into the crack !

My opinion for what its worth !
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 11:04:04 pm »
 I carry my j tool and regular tool too...for frames and for seperating boxes.  I was using a frame gripper until the J tool, and I found that soo much easier than the gripper.

Rick
Rick

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 03:58:58 am »
I have a wheel brace off a car from another life that I use. The only thing that it is difficult to do is scrape off burr comb or propolis. Other than that it separates and lifts frames, squashes SHB and a hundred and one other jobs. After all this great discussion on hive tools I have been thinking of buying one but the price over here is quite out of the question.

So I guess that I will continue to use the wheel brace that has done me well for over 15 years  :lol:

Mick

anything