Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: US Food Supply  (Read 2075 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
US Food Supply
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:16:38 pm »
Just heard Jerry Hayes state @ the joint NC-SC beekeepers meeting:

@ our current rate by 2012--- 40% of our veggies and fruit will be from other countries!

In 50 years ( I doubt I make it that far but :-D) the US will be totally dependent on other countries as a food source.

Oh yes, expect to pay 90% more for these items (not sure of time frame he meant).

And his message, support your local farmer and therefore support your beekeepers!!!
John 3:16

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: US Food Supply
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:41:07 pm »
I think he meant they would jump the price 90% when it was no longer grown in the US, like they did with the oil. If we have no local source, they charge whatever they want.

It was good to meet you, sc.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:07:31 pm »
I was at WalMart today and was looking as some packaged frozen fish fillets. They were farm raised in China, processed and shipped to the other side of the world. After seeing that, I started looking at other seafood items.....Vietnam and Indonesia. How can they do that? Or should I ask, why aren't American companies farm raising these items?

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:08:37 pm »
How can they do that? Or should I ask, why aren't American companies farm raising these items

labor costs, environmental regulations, taxes, etc....

it's only going to get worse as more regulations go into effect and more environmental controls go into effect.  add in increasing wage by regulation, more anti-business taxes,  "green" fees, and land use restrictions.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:11:49 pm »
Another item to be taken care of after the revolution.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:22:44 pm »
Great to meet you iddee!!!
John 3:16

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 10:36:31 pm »
still waiting for the return of my declaration   ;)

it is a good time for all of us to think about how we can be more self sufficient.  the more we do for ourselves, the better off!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 10:49:11 pm »
Why be self sufficient. The gov. gonna give us all a big check every month, so we don't need to do nothing. The gov. got a big printing press, they make lots of money. Just wait till our new man gets going. He's gonna make it all just great.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*