Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee sting to the scalp and swollen lymph nodes?  (Read 81302 times)

Offline marliah

• House Bee
bee sting to the scalp and swollen lymph nodes?
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:55:16 pm »
Just curious could a bee sting to the scalp cause swollen lymph nodes 24-72 hours after the sting?

I got stung a couple days ago (not to self, weeding the garden right next to the beehive and having bright pink hair do not mix well) and had an aweful headache for about 3 hours, which them subsided with only minor itching where the sting occured. But last night woke up to a dull ache in my neck and I have a lump near my hairline that is sensitive (I'm assuming a lymph node).

Is this a typical reaction to a bee sting? or should I be concerned? if it is a typical thing, how long should I expect that soreness and inflammation to last?

Thanks in advance!
Tara
beekeeper in central Maine
Finally getting bees again! 6/12/13

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: bee sting to the scalp and swollen lymph nodes?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:21:06 pm »
I have managed to avoid being stung on the head, but I imagine this is normal.  Your immune system is mobilizing lymphocytes to respond to the toxins.  In addition, the toxins are bursting a large number of your cells and the remains must drain from your tissues via the lymphatic system.  Both can cause swelling of the lymph nodes.

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:07:14 pm »
I've been a keeper for a little over a year now. My stings vary. Normaly if I get it on the hand, arm, waist area, I just have a little puffyness and itching like crazy for about 6 hours. Hell, I got bit by a rattlesnake and didn't swell as much as some times when I'm hit on the hand. If I'm playing with the girls and I don't get it once or twice I haven't played long enough. :-D

Offline abates99

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:51:44 pm »
  Your immune system is mobilizing lymphocytes to respond to the toxins.  In addition, the toxins are bursting a large number of your cells and the remains must drain from your tissues via the lymphatic system.  Both can cause swelling of the lymph nodes.

Well said!!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 04:50:15 am »
   Yes it can, does and will.  Just remember the lymph nodes don't go back down immediately, it can take a while.  So I have experienced.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:27:09 am »
When I get stung I start to get a headache a few hours later followed by my body getting very hot almost feverish like followed by getting very cold then its all over by morning.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:46:13 am »
Just curious could a bee sting to the scalp cause swollen lymph nodes 24-72 hours after the sting?

I got stung a couple days ago (not to self, weeding the garden right next to the beehive and having bright pink hair do not mix well) and had an awful headache for about 3 hours, which them subsided with only minor itching where the sting occurred. But last night woke up to a dull ache in my neck and I have a lump near my hairline that is sensitive (I'm assuming a lymph node).

Is this a typical reaction to a bee sting? or should I be concerned? if it is a typical thing, how long should I expect that soreness and inflammation to last?

Thanks in advance!

What you experienced is very typical, you may find that at some point with more stings under your belt, your reactions may not be quite as harsh, as with more stings you may build a better resistance to bee venom.

Some people actually have a doctor administer bee venom therapy to help desensitize their reactions to bee stings.

My wife is diabetic and had a reaction once that continued off and on for three weeks, this is a little unusual but it does happen.

Some get a very warm area over the stung area that you can literally feel the elevated temps in that spot for a few days, I've had reactions like that myself, although its been quite a while, yrs in fact.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:45:39 pm »
 As you may have surmised, different with different people, the least annoying sting for me was in the back of my head, even left the stinger in for 30 min. Maybe that has something to do with hardness of head. Recent ankle sting swelled and itched for two days. Ankle was very stiff and painfull for one day.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:42:17 pm »
Yeh, Marliah, at first my ankles would be swollen and itchy for I bet over a week..They still swell more than the rest of me, but it doesnt last that long. Also, "I" think bee stings arent as bad in the winter as they are in summer for some reason. I bet your bees do like your pink hair though. I think it looks really nice on you!
Recently I read that bees can remember faces for 2 days.This might be true as I'm out there every day and the bees dont sting me anymore,(well, not in a few days at least!) and maybe they know i bring them food. :)

your friend,
john

Offline lingrush

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 11:57:09 pm »
Sorry for gravedigging, but this is my first post and I made it because I had the same thing and seeing this was such a relief.  First year beekeeper with two hives, about to build the 2nd set of deeps and supers for them.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 01:08:25 am »
Welcome to th forum.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 08:20:25 am »
welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 09:56:37 am »
LOL...I am reading through the post and thinking to myself WOW who are these people?!?!....I have never seen any of them post and then realized its from 2008 LOL

Welcome to the forum and its nice to see people going through old posts searching for answers to their questions!!!
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 10:24:41 am »
Poor circulation in the lower legs and not enough blood flow to cleanse the venom as quick as else where on the body.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 10:49:58 am »
Lingrush welcome to the forum.
with the general area you reside. better answers can be formulated for you.

Offline RustyUPNY

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 11:35:41 am »
I got excited that I am finally qualified to answer a question on here (medical provider) then I realized it was from years ago! 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 12:25:20 pm »
...from years ago, but still a good point.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 12:32:50 pm »
As long as I am hive less, no odd swelling, and breathing fine I do not worry.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 01:54:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum!   

In my experience, it depends on the location of the sting and what happens to be on the bee when she pings me.   Sometimes I get ony a little itchy spot, sometimes a really big [hand sized] welt and bruising.   Always an adventure.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 07:08:47 pm »
Last year I took about 9 stings to my scalp when I shook a swarm over head. I had no side effects after 5 minutes. The reason for all of those stings was that my hair was dirty/oily and this hive had was rather aggressive.
Most times that I get stung in my head, I did not wash it that morning. Somethings to remember.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything